How do you get rid of fleas?

(7 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Sun 10-Jan-16 23:58:38

DC has been scratching quite a bit lately and I just saw a bloody black flea jump on my arm! What's the best way of getting rid of them on the cat and in the house? DC usually sleeps on my bed but may have to stop that for the time being...!

Destinysdaughter Mon 11-Jan-16 00:49:30

* DC is dear cat, just for clarification!

sashh Mon 11-Jan-16 06:06:52

Go to the vet, get the spot on stuff for the cat and the spray for the house - you need to spray every heard surface.

Whoverville Mon 11-Jan-16 07:02:12

I've recently been fighting the flea fight! I react really badly to them and it's been a horrible few weeks! I bought some different sprays (indorex and stay kill) and sprayed, aired and hoovered very regularly. I also upped my cats flea treatment. I was using advantage spot on for small cats, but realised that now she's fully grown she's big enough for the large cat dose. I weighed her first to double check. This is the first time we've had fleas since we've had her (3 years) so I'm presuming I either missed a dose or the lower strength treatment became less effective on her over time). I don't know if it's a coincidence, but my Hoover was out of action for a time prior to the flea infestation, so I also now vaccum as much as possible.
I did read somewhere that it can speed up the process (especially if the carpets have been sprayed).
I do really recommend advantage, it's always worked before and we now seem to be flea free once again.

TheRightThingToDo Mon 11-Jan-16 07:15:01

We use advocate from the vet and acclaim spray to spray the house.

Our cat is outdoor and has cat friends so I have to keep on top of it smile

SteelyPip Mon 11-Jan-16 10:56:30

Oh gosh I feel your pain. We've been fighting the little buggers for months now and FINALLY seem to have cleared them.

We have used vet prescribed Frontline treatment every month, combed him with a flea comb daily, wormed regularly and I sprayed the house, washed and rewashed his bedding, hoovered, hoovered, hoovered, hoovered, flea-bombed and then switched to Indorex spray which I credit with making the difference. (Also it's lower odour than the awful spray I'd used earlier.)

Good luck!

juneybean Mon 11-Jan-16 10:57:59

You need indorex for the house, spray it around all the edges, if possible keep children and pets out of the area you've spray for a few hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now