Talk

Advanced search

BertCat vs Parakeets

(6 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sun 03-Jan-16 10:29:36

Having been at home during the day over Christmas, I've got to see BertCat 'chattering' at the window nearest to the trees at the back of my flat, which I thought was just general excitement at seeing birds and squirrels.

I've realised this morning that she's actually trying to mimic the parakeets, that have spent this morning on the branches closest to the window, apparently drawn in by BertCat's impressions.
Is this a normal thing for cats to do?

Palomb Sun 03-Jan-16 10:31:17

That noise means "I want to eat you" in cat language I think.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 03-Jan-16 10:36:15

Not a very stealthy hunt mode, is it grin She is only doing it to parakeets, thought it might be because she can mimic their call, but not magpies or crows?

Palomb Sun 03-Jan-16 10:38:16

Maybe they just look very tasty 😆

cozietoesie Sun 03-Jan-16 10:44:21

Yes - that chattering noise (if it's a sort of Mng-g-g-g-g-g-g sound) generally means 'Let me at 'em'. grin

(The cat may not be deadly serious about it - a real stalk is virtually silent - so you could consider it 'for show'. (Sort of.))

FreshsatsumaforDd Sun 03-Jan-16 10:44:46

Next doors cat does this when she sees birds in our garden, however, the call which she mimics is their alarm call! They make a chattering noise to warn other birds that there is danger, because they can see the cat, and then she mimics that call! Ha ha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now