Talk

Advanced search

Blood in urine - 6 year old rescue

(6 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Fri 01-Jan-16 10:53:00

Hi all, can you help? We have a gorgeous 6 year old female from a local rescue who we love. We went away over Christmas for 3 days and left her at home with a neighbour coming in to feed her. We have done this before and she has been fine, but this time, we came home to find poo in the bath and blood patches in the laundry basket. Took her to the vets who gave us capsules to sprinkle on her food and some painkilling liquid to squirt on her gums. 4 days on and there hasn't been much improvement. I think the next step is that the vet will keep her in for a day and will then try to get a urine sample, as she may have crystals in her urine. Do any of you have any experience of this, and what fixed it for you? i have wet food only for her, and a bowl of rainwater for her to drink, trying to dilute her urine more, but not sure what else we can do?
Apart from going to the litter tray a lot and being slightly off her food she seems fine in herself, purring and snuggling as usual, but I'm getting a bit worried now.

DropYourSword Fri 01-Jan-16 10:57:14

I had this with a cat once, she had cystitis poor thing! Cleared up quickly and easily with a course of medication from the vets. Hope your little one gets well soon!

SarfEast1cated Fri 01-Jan-16 16:58:38

A small bump

Vinorosso74 Fri 01-Jan-16 17:02:37

I had a neutered male who had bladder stones (think it's more common in them) and there was a little bit of blood in his pee. He was also trying to pee anywhere which was unusual for him and he was in pain.
Vets treated it fairly easily I think he stayed in for couple of days then we had antibiotics to give him. He never had any repeats of it.
Hope your girl is better soon.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 01-Jan-16 17:08:21

May not be connected, but we had this with our rescue cat. We ruled other stuff out at the vets, and it turned out to be stress. Got a Feliway plug-in which seemed to help. Maybe she was a bit stressed when you went away? We had a repeat of it recently, after some major building work. After a couple of days of the Feliway, she was fine.

SarfEast1cated Fri 01-Jan-16 17:16:37

I think I'd better get some pet insurance! anyone have any recommendations. I'll need one that covers existing conditions..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now