Talk

Advanced search

DH and mild cat allergy

(13 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Thu 31-Dec-15 19:05:44

Me and DCs have always wanted a cat but due to DH's protestations about his cat allergy have declined.

Having had done a bit of research there seems to be a lot of product around which would solve this problem.

Petal cleanse and air purifiers for example.

Do you think is would work?

Tia

Joopy Thu 31-Dec-15 20:34:51

How about a hairless cat? Or a catfish?

PolterGoose Thu 31-Dec-15 21:47:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BaconAndAvocado Fri 01-Jan-16 18:46:41

joopy both suggestions are on the list but we do already have fish and DH is almost hairless so a land-lubbing hairy cat is the front runner at the moment.

poltergoose that sounds positive. The dream is getting closer smile

Bogburglar99 Fri 01-Jan-16 23:57:47

Would you look at a Siberian? They are supposed to be easier for people with allergies to tolerate and hence Bogbastardkitten has arrived in our lives after 20 years of catlessness. DH has no bother with him and he is the most handsome, friendly and sweet natured beast - and counterintuitively the fluffiest - you could hope to meet in a days march.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 02-Jan-16 17:34:16

Has your DH has an allergy bog ?

Was thinking we'd get a cat from the local cat rescue centre. Don't think I'd get away with spending loads!

Bogburglar99 Sat 02-Jan-16 19:16:08

He does indeed - otherwise would have been down the rescue centre with the best of them. Bogbastardkitten was a fortieth birthday present I'm afraid.

Bogburglar99 Sat 02-Jan-16 19:16:48

If you can give a cat as a present which I am not sure you can really. Let's say I paid quite a lot for the privilege of being appointed to his personal staff smile

notapizzaeater Sat 02-Jan-16 19:21:27

We got a cat with DH having an allergy. We bought petal clense and he built up a resistance yo her. He itches if she nudges his chin too much.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Jan-16 19:23:01

Dh is allergic to our cat. Its only bad if he touches the cat and then rubs his eyes.

It was worse at the beginning. Plus he has asthma now but after smoking for 26 years who wouldn't?.

frikadela01 Sun 03-Jan-16 00:05:09

I'm allergic to cats. When I first started stopping at dps his cat made.my face itch so badly. Now I've lived here a year I'm just used to the cat. I can always tell if he's been on the bed though because I wake up with streaming eyes and wanting to itch my face off.

ZebraOwl Sun 03-Jan-16 03:01:49

I have a cat allergy (& severe brittle asthma [type 2, where you get supersick superquick] just as a bonus) but just upped my top-up antihistamine (I'm on more than one) & keep using my nasal spray year-round rather than just when the pollen's floating about. I also break out my eyedrops more often, because while the cats aren't [normally] allowed allowed to sleep with me, they're allowed on my bed & brushing/lint-rollering it before I retire is not always sufficient. (I can absolutely see what I'm writing, uh-huh, yes...)

Having had the cats since they were kittens I'm definitely less allergic to them than I am to Other Cats, but when we've had time apart things flare up some. Which is of course exactly what you need after spending a few weeks in hospital which means the cats want All The Snuggles All The Time & must be with you at every moment...

But yes. Certainly, if an allergy is not too severe (my poor best friend is now, having grown up with a beloved cat, INCREDIBLY allergic to, well, anything with fur, so furry!pets are out for her) getting a cat is possible & manageable with the right measures in place.

Good luck grin

ShutUpLegs Mon 04-Jan-16 18:09:06

I grew up with cats and only realised that I was allergic to them when I began to encounter them in other homes as an adult - to the extent I had to take a tablet when going to Book Group at a cat household.

However, we are 4 weeks in with our rescue kittens and I have settled well. Struggled with a tight chest for about 10 days and took Piriton once when I got scratched handling them - I came up in hives very quickly. Now I can breathe normally and although I do get itchy when scratched, it passes quickly. I take care to wwash my hands regularly and not let them too near my face. I also try to keep our bedroom clear of them and not let them sleep on my bed. Otherwise, all good so far!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now