Talk

Advanced search

why has my car got worms?

(28 Posts)
FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:25:56

Just that really!

She's 18 months old and goes outside a fair bit. I treat her every four weeks religiously and always have done. I use an all in one spot on from the vets - name escapes me for now! - but it's supposedly the best and it's expensive. It's the correct one for her weight.

So I treated her a month ago and noticed she had worms all over her backside a fortnight ago. I was a bit shocked as I was sure it'd only been a fortnight but I treated her again and then two days later .. Same thing. Repeated and yet again three days ago .: large disgusting worms over her.

I have run out of my supplies now but will get some tomorrow when the vet reopens. Do I need a tablet ? Something else? Can I do more? She's fit and healthy and spayed but she's an extremely greedy cat and will tear through wrappers to get to things like frozen bagels or tomatoes , given half the chance. She's not hungry , just food obsessed .. Could this be anything to do with it ? She's always been the same though

She's currently confined to the conservatory as I don't want these revolting worms all over my home

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:26:17

CAT NOT CAR grin

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:28:39

Does spot on treat all types of worms? Consult a vet. I'm sure treatment shouldn't be given again after only two weeks.
What was it? Don't you give a wormer as well?

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:03

Yes it's a specific spot on to treat worms. All types of worms. It's a tenner a pop and supposed to be the best hmm

ophiotaurus Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:05

I have a spot in flea treatment and a wormer tablet for my cat. Are you sure it's for worms too?

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:13

Is it Advocate or Frontline you use?

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:48

Was it prescribed by a vet?

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:50

Advocate is ringing a bell! I'm sure it's that and yes it's a wormer as that's what I always ask for at the vets

ophiotaurus Mon 28-Dec-15 22:31:11

Cross post sorry. We have a tablet so not sure about worming spot ons maybe ring the vet tell them it's not working. Poor cat and poor you sad

LostInMess Mon 28-Dec-15 22:31:33

Does she hunt lots? Might be constantly re-infecting.

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:31:58

Yep, prescribed in that I go in there and ask for flea treatment and a wormer and they specifically check her weight etc

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:33:41

She doesn't hunt at all to my knowledge as she's never brought any thing back home but she's out a lot - well, half of her time.

It's pretty grim to have her walk across you and see long worms hanging out. I don't think I've ever moved so quickly to remove her!

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:34:06

Fairly certain advocate doesn't counter all sorts of worms. Just some. It's a flea treatment mainly.

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:34:42

Here is the revolting creature

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:35:28

That face is blaming you for the worms!

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:35:46

Advocate covers most parasites but not tapeworm. Ask your vet for drontal or profender and do that at least every 3 months. Check with the vet what gap to leave between this and advocate which you should still do monthly to cover off fleas and other intestinal worms.

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:36:08

Ok maybe I need a tablet then? I shall pop down tomorrow and stop using this spot on. Which lists several worms on it that it treats but obviously doesn't

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:37:48

No, keep using advocate for fleas etc but just cover off tapeworm every few months. Profender is a spot on wormer.

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:38:08

It does treat some worms. Just not all worms.
If you stop using it you will end up with fleas. grin

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:38:19

X post!

ophiotaurus Mon 28-Dec-15 22:38:28

Yes it's drontal we use I forgot the name!

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:43:19

Bloody hell.. Fleas ?!?! Right, I shall carry on with it and get a tablet for the worms that it doesn't cover... These worms are cream and a few cms long and just disgusting

Do I need to boil wash my house? She has a little bed in the conservatory but it's not got a removable cover

Thanks for the help btw

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:48:56

I've had a look and this spot on treats roundworms and hook worms . I'm pretty sure she hasn't got a tapeworm ? I think they're round worms I've seen

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:52:14

Take the worms to the vet if you can for identification but treat with a comprehensive wormer anyway so she's ok.

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:53:57

tapeworm lifecycle for information.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: