why has my car got worms?

(28 Posts)
FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:25:56

Just that really!

She's 18 months old and goes outside a fair bit. I treat her every four weeks religiously and always have done. I use an all in one spot on from the vets - name escapes me for now! - but it's supposedly the best and it's expensive. It's the correct one for her weight.

So I treated her a month ago and noticed she had worms all over her backside a fortnight ago. I was a bit shocked as I was sure it'd only been a fortnight but I treated her again and then two days later .. Same thing. Repeated and yet again three days ago .: large disgusting worms over her.

I have run out of my supplies now but will get some tomorrow when the vet reopens. Do I need a tablet ? Something else? Can I do more? She's fit and healthy and spayed but she's an extremely greedy cat and will tear through wrappers to get to things like frozen bagels or tomatoes , given half the chance. She's not hungry , just food obsessed .. Could this be anything to do with it ? She's always been the same though

She's currently confined to the conservatory as I don't want these revolting worms all over my home

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:26:17

CAT NOT CAR grin

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:28:39

Does spot on treat all types of worms? Consult a vet. I'm sure treatment shouldn't be given again after only two weeks.
What was it? Don't you give a wormer as well?

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:03

Yes it's a specific spot on to treat worms. All types of worms. It's a tenner a pop and supposed to be the best hmm

ophiotaurus Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:05

I have a spot in flea treatment and a wormer tablet for my cat. Are you sure it's for worms too?

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:13

Is it Advocate or Frontline you use?

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:48

Was it prescribed by a vet?

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:30:50

Advocate is ringing a bell! I'm sure it's that and yes it's a wormer as that's what I always ask for at the vets

ophiotaurus Mon 28-Dec-15 22:31:11

Cross post sorry. We have a tablet so not sure about worming spot ons maybe ring the vet tell them it's not working. Poor cat and poor you sad

LostInMess Mon 28-Dec-15 22:31:33

Does she hunt lots? Might be constantly re-infecting.

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:31:58

Yep, prescribed in that I go in there and ask for flea treatment and a wormer and they specifically check her weight etc

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:33:41

She doesn't hunt at all to my knowledge as she's never brought any thing back home but she's out a lot - well, half of her time.

It's pretty grim to have her walk across you and see long worms hanging out. I don't think I've ever moved so quickly to remove her!

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:34:06

Fairly certain advocate doesn't counter all sorts of worms. Just some. It's a flea treatment mainly.

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:34:42

Here is the revolting creature

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:35:28

That face is blaming you for the worms!

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:35:46

Advocate covers most parasites but not tapeworm. Ask your vet for drontal or profender and do that at least every 3 months. Check with the vet what gap to leave between this and advocate which you should still do monthly to cover off fleas and other intestinal worms.

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:36:08

Ok maybe I need a tablet then? I shall pop down tomorrow and stop using this spot on. Which lists several worms on it that it treats but obviously doesn't

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:37:48

No, keep using advocate for fleas etc but just cover off tapeworm every few months. Profender is a spot on wormer.

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:38:08

It does treat some worms. Just not all worms.
If you stop using it you will end up with fleas. grin

Wolfiefan Mon 28-Dec-15 22:38:19

X post!

ophiotaurus Mon 28-Dec-15 22:38:28

Yes it's drontal we use I forgot the name!

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:43:19

Bloody hell.. Fleas ?!?! Right, I shall carry on with it and get a tablet for the worms that it doesn't cover... These worms are cream and a few cms long and just disgusting

Do I need to boil wash my house? She has a little bed in the conservatory but it's not got a removable cover

Thanks for the help btw

FloralYums Mon 28-Dec-15 22:48:56

I've had a look and this spot on treats roundworms and hook worms . I'm pretty sure she hasn't got a tapeworm ? I think they're round worms I've seen

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:52:14

Take the worms to the vet if you can for identification but treat with a comprehensive wormer anyway so she's ok.

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 22:53:57

tapeworm lifecycle for information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now