Umm, so the cat likes MERINGUE!

(61 Posts)
Katymac Mon 28-Dec-15 18:00:56

How bad is that for him?

He was practically climbing me to reach it

thecatneuterer Mon 28-Dec-15 18:02:33

I doubt it will do him any major harm. Not an ideal diet of course, but I wouldn't worry about him having a bit of it once in a blue moon.

VocationalGoat Mon 28-Dec-15 18:05:15

Mine loves Nutella and anything sweet. If I leave the Nutella jar open, she's on it like a rash.

Katymac Mon 28-Dec-15 18:08:42

He knocked it out of my hand ate all the crushed crumbs & then growled a bit when I removed it

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 28-Dec-15 18:41:01

Mine refuses human food - apart from Haagen Daazs Dulce du Leche ice cream! We don't have it very often but he is allowed to lick my bowl (don't judge!) and looks very pleased with himself!

PolterGoose Mon 28-Dec-15 18:44:53

grin

PolterCat is a bugger for pinching and eating fairy cake wrappers whole confused

BibiBlocksberg Mon 28-Dec-15 19:43:01

ha ha ha @ 'crushed crumbs & growled a bit' Katymac smile

Weird the things they take a fancy to sometimes.

Doubt a few meringue crumbs will harm kitty, mine goes mental for tiramisu (i have to hold it nearly above my head to stop him literally climbing in the bowl, same with cream & ice cream) He gets to lick some off the end of my little finger twice & that's his lot, bearing in mind how rich that stuff is on their comparitively little stomachs (& i don't fancy scrubbing sick off the carpets later)

Having said that, an ex cat of mine (re-homed not dead) used to love sneaking on to the cooker & licking out the pan after i'd cooked a curry without any ill effects <weirdo>

AwkwardSquad Mon 28-Dec-15 20:40:25

Mine would almost tear my hand off for some sponge cake.

One of our late pusscats would go beserk for cheesy puffs. And sponge cake. And tiramisu. And Heinz tomato soup. I hasten to add that she would only very occasionally get a taste of any of the afor-mentioned!

AwkwardSquad Mon 28-Dec-15 20:41:35

Apparently cas can't taste sweetness. Could have fooled me.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 28-Dec-15 20:42:21

One of mine goes mad for mushrooms, she loves them, bloody weirdo

emwithme Mon 28-Dec-15 20:49:56

Yeah, I don't believe that cats can't taste sweetness. Ex-cat (from when I flat shared with best mate) would mug you for melon/pineapple/mango.

timtam23 Mon 28-Dec-15 22:03:39

Bibi - my old boy cat used to like spicy food too. Curry, mild chilli sauce,that sort of thing. He would try to lick my plate clean.

elephantoverthehill Mon 28-Dec-15 22:08:18

I left the lid open on a box of After Eight Mints one night. In the morning I found a cat shaped bite mark out of the top of every single one.I also used to have a cat that drank any mug of tea if left unguarded.

Katymac Mon 28-Dec-15 22:12:49

Mango! I remember 4 Siamese ago the cat stalking, killing and devouring all the stringy flesh stuck to a mango pit

sashh Tue 29-Dec-15 09:47:57

Quite a few cats like egg so meringue not too different. Mine likes quiche.

I had one that loved crisps when I was a kid.

Kirjava Tue 29-Dec-15 09:54:44

Mine loves any human food, but especially sweet corn.hmm

cozietoesie Tue 29-Dec-15 10:21:31

You all have some very weird cats! grin

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 29-Dec-15 10:25:41

My cat eats anything. Anything. It is quite practical really as he clears under the table after meals but causes issues when the toddler drops food and then screams blue murder if the cat gets it before we rescue it.

The cat has discovered a liking for smoked salmon this christmas. He is also very fond of snatching pancakes off plates if the dc leave them unattended to get a drink. When you have food but need to take more than you can carry to the table you have to walk around with your plate in one hand and do multiple trips to take knife and fork, drink etc to the table as if you put your plate down the cat will be on it.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 29-Dec-15 10:28:38

beans. <wins weirdy cat competition>

he's not bothered if they are cooked, frozen, tinned, baked or from the food bin

he eats French beans, kidney beans, baked beans, broadbeans from the plant, or the pod, peas also, appears like a ninja to drink the juice from tinned chickpeas.

and he eats the fairy ring mushrooms and comes in with his pupils like saucers and off his little catty furface.

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 29-Dec-15 10:29:37

My old cat when I was a kid was amazing at stealing food. You couldn't leave anything around, not even on the top shelf right up near the kitchen ceiling as he would just climb up. Creme caramel left out to cool would have the middle eaten out of each one. Once I begged and begged for a tiered birthday cake so my mum made 3 tiers and left them to cool, yup, the cat ate the middle out of each tier. Meat left to defrost on the top shelf would vanish. He would eat whole pats of butter.

I find it funny how much it depends on their characters as he would get everywhere and eat anything but our next cat never showed any interest in jumping on the worktops or table and when we tried to treat him with scraps of meat just looked at them as if to say "what the fuck is that?" He doesn't kill and eat his prey either.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 29-Dec-15 13:33:32

My cat likes and went for a Rachel's organic rice pudding recently...

He also begged for a rich tea biscuit not long after I first got him when he was hiding in the spare room...

Rice pudding got to be sweet and milk based, rich tea surely is sweet?

SuperFlyHigh Tue 29-Dec-15 13:34:40

Old cats would go mad for the herb marinated olives (not the olives!) it was like catnip for them....

BibiBlocksberg Tue 29-Dec-15 20:58:38

My jaw has gone all slack in amazement at the foodstuffs your kitty's have taken a fancy to. Olives I'd just about heard of oh and most cats I've had have been partial to a corner of a cheese & onion crisp (great fun listening to the meal they make of such a small crunchy morsel smile

elephant over the hill - proper lol @ the mental PIC of the tooth marked after eights!

timtam23 - thought madam was unique in her spicy love, obviously not smile Was fun explaining to her new slaves that if they really want to treat her to buy a pack of Chinese flavoured sandwich chicken......

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 29-Dec-15 21:07:00

Fondant icing, rolled into a ball.

Edible toys.

sleeplessinmybedroom Tue 29-Dec-15 21:12:37

Mine loves crisps, if he hears a packet open he will come and share. If you don't share or don't share quick enough he will bite you. He shuns meat though if you try and give him some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now