Talk

Advanced search

Letting rescue cat out - advice pls?

(9 Posts)
MrsCocoa Sat 26-Dec-15 20:36:04

We've had our lovely rescue cat for nearly a month now and we're all completely besotted with her. I'm feeling really anxious about letting her out. The rescue centre thought she was used to going out, but she's not used a cat flap before, and on her two brief semi-supervised forays out so far, has displayed little road sense, or street wiseness around other cats. But I worry most about her getting lost as she is curious and rather reckless. Any thoughts/advice? (She's just over a year old Bengal-X who has recently been spayed).

MrsCocoa Sun 27-Dec-15 11:52:43

Sorry - to be more specific: any hints or tips on getting her used to the neighbourhood? Difficult to supervise her closely as she charges off. Do we just need to let her go and hope for the best? I've never felt this level of anxiety about other cats.

PolterGoose Sun 27-Dec-15 11:58:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheGreenNinja Sun 27-Dec-15 12:07:07

We've been doing this with our rescue cat the last week or two. Initially let her out right before feeding time and while someone was out with her, treats when she came back in. Build it up slowly and have confidence. Ours is now going out lots (don't have a cat flap yet) unsupervised and still races back in, tail puffed up if a squirrel looks at her funny. grin

MrsCocoa Sun 27-Dec-15 17:41:51

Thanks both. Yes, she's desperate to get out! Nose is permanently pressed up to the glass watching for birds and squirrels and she's sprinted out between my legs at night when I was taking out the bins.

PolterGoose Sun 27-Dec-15 17:43:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCocoa Sun 27-Dec-15 18:09:23

Yes. but she hasn't sussed them out yet.

Rollypoly100 Mon 28-Dec-15 17:58:14

It's nerve wracking isn't it. Our female rescue cat explored the garden this morning supervised by me flapping around. We are doing a phased introduction to outdoors and I'll try not to follow her over the fence tomorrow morning grin

MrsCocoa Tue 29-Dec-15 19:18:47

Glad it's not just me Roly smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now