Talk

Advanced search

best place to get kittens

(5 Posts)
JoMalones Tue 22-Dec-15 14:42:51

Hello

We desperately would like two kittens. We have four children and one is apprehensive about full size cats but for some reason loves kittens! We thought if we get kittens then she won't notice them growing and would love them by the time they were full size (odd as she had cats until she was 2 and loves them), but also with four children, the kittens would grow up used to noise and a busy household.

I've registered with local RSPCA and Cats Protection but they haven't got any and haven't for a while. Where else is worth looking? I've also checked the local animal shelter.

thecatneuterer Tue 22-Dec-15 14:49:03

You are looking at the wrong time of year. Cats are seasonable breeders and normally have two litters a year, one in Spring and one in late Summer.

There are always some being born out of season but not that many. Do not go to a breeder and do not buy privately. A rescue is the only ethical choice. There are far too many cats being born for the number of homes available and by paying someone to bring more into the world you are condemning many more to death. By rescuing you are doing good rather than harm.

www.catchat.org will have details of all the rescues in your area and will feature some of the cats they have available. If you have your heart set on kittens though you might need to wait until Spring.

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Dec-15 14:51:41

Wait till the spring, and alas the rescues will be overrun with kittens.

But you do need to consider what you'll do if your dd doesn't just get used to them as they grow.

JoMalones Tue 22-Dec-15 14:55:20

Ah thank you! I did not know about the seasons and definitely want a rescue, we've already had that discussion and firmly put my foot down!

My daughter I know will be fine, after a bit of coaxing she is fine with friends pets but initially she is nervous. We've also got a largish house so space can be had by the cats or her whenever is needed. Knowing what she was like when she was younger before our cats passed, she loved them.

thecatneuterer Tue 22-Dec-15 14:59:07

I'm sure the kittens will be fine in your home.

(And I just noticed a howler in my post 'seasonable breeder' WTF is that? I meant 'seasonal' of course)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now