Talk

Advanced search

Best cat litter

(15 Posts)
FlowersAndShit Tue 22-Dec-15 14:23:49

I'll be getting my first ever kitten next month (ragdoll). I'm worried a bit about the litter tray smelling as I live in a small flat, plus it will be an indoor cat. Which litter is best for reducing smells?

evelynj Tue 22-Dec-15 14:38:23

I like Sainsburys odour eliminating but not an expert

CheshireChat Tue 22-Dec-15 21:35:35

We ended up using crystal cat litter though I know some people hate it. Another thing that made a big difference was getting a litter tray with a carbon filter. Ragdolls are gorgeous.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 22-Dec-15 21:41:12

THIS ONE!

Not OKO, not any of the Sanicat ones.

Also an indoor owner living in a small flat, it's perfect. No odour, doesn't track through the flat when BertCat leaves the tray, no dust, economical & can be flushed (I flush poo and bag wee clumps).

All others I've tried either track, clump into immovable concrete or leave dust all over the tray.

Also, definitely get a covered tray: I have this one with the entrance flap removed, tucks in nicely to a corner of the bathroom.

Mincepies76 Tue 22-Dec-15 22:26:50

I use Tesco clumping litter for my kitten (long haired Persian Chinchilla) We started with wood litter but found he couldn't bury his poop with wood chips and then just trod in it and got in a bit of a mess. He seems to do better with the clumping stuff. I have a hooded corner cat loo and he can use the flap. I also use a litter fresh thingy and we don't get much smell smile

FlowersAndShit Tue 22-Dec-15 22:42:32

Thank you all! I think I'll try the one Mrsbert posted. Can the cat litter definitely be flushed down the loo? I don't want to block the toilet!

I've just been shopping and picked up a few different types of cat food and some dreamies. It's all so exciting!

Crazycatlady27 Tue 22-Dec-15 22:45:20

I was going to recommend the same as MrsBert
We also have Ragdolls & this litter is fantastic, we flush puts down the loo and haven't had any problems

MrsBertMacklin Tue 22-Dec-15 22:54:02

Flowers if you're in a flat, I'd think twice about flushing the big clumps of it as you can't be certain that it's not getting stuck / causing problems somewhere further down the supply (I flush about a tablespoon of it away with poo, with no problems). I know in my flat, I don't flush big clumps of it because when my pet sitter did it, I arrived home to find a toilet pan with a load of litter in it.

PS - The first rule of the Litter Tray: photos of all new cats must be provided ASAP.

JessicaRuby Tue 22-Dec-15 23:01:38

I use OKO and it's always been great, is the one you linked to much better Bert?

MrsBertMacklin Tue 22-Dec-15 23:19:13

Jessica, I found OKO very good at absorbing odour, but the tracking drove me bloody insane and I found the clumps to be too soft, i.e. they would start to fall apart when being scooped. I also wasn't keen on the smell of the litter itself.

I think CB is my holy grail litter.

StillMedusa Tue 22-Dec-15 23:44:20

I use the Pets at Home ultra fine clumping... wee forms into small solid balls that are so easy to scoop out.. it beats the various supermarket ones we tried hands down.

I used to use the wood pellet kind, and put poos in the loo. Then one day DS2 kindly cleared a large poo... and a huge amount of litter, which promptly reformed into a tree and blocked the loo completely!

cozietoesie Wed 23-Dec-15 07:25:15

We use Sainsbury's clumping. It's what Seniorboy likes so who am I to gainsay him?

RaisingSteam Wed 23-Dec-15 07:40:17

We go for Pets at Home clumping litter (brown packet) too, you actually get through less of it as it clumps so well the rest of the litter stays clean.
Please don't flush cat litter down the loo though!. It's so heavy it will settle out in the pipes and build up somewhere not far from your house until you get a lovely blockage.

We have a litter tray with a cover, door and carbon filter and rarely get significant smell unless Steamcat has excelled herself.

FlowersAndShit Wed 23-Dec-15 19:14:17

Thank all. I think i'll try a few different ones and see how I get on. I also bought some litter tray liners- don't know if they'll be any good but I thought it would be easier to get all the litter out.

mumchkin Fri 25-Dec-15 10:17:36

I have the sense of smell of a blood hound and find that all clumping litters start to smell very quickly. Crystals, changed weekly (not monthly like it says on the pack) and poos scooped immediately has been the best option I've found.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now