Talk

Advanced search

Inappropriate pissing

(16 Posts)
IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 08:16:07

Morning all,

I've just been woken up to the cat pissing in a suitcase that happened to be on the bedroom floor.

She is ~10 years old and in good health. No sign of UTI.

We don't have a cat flap but do have a 'litter kwitter' tray that goes over the loo - which she does use (for wees, she won't poo in it hmm).

She also wees on the bathroom floor quite often recently. I suspect she's weed other places I haven't discovered yet.

This morning I've managed to catch her in the act and put her out in the rain without breakfast (and I feel guilty). Hopefully the two occurrences have happened swiftly enough as to be associated.

Eventually, we will get a flap (and a whole new glass unit for the back door at ~£200) but what the piss can I do now? She's been fine for 5 years here with being let out whenever she 'asks'. I know she's getting on a bit but she is perfectly capable of using the loo-tray.

How do I stop her weeing in inappropriate places? (Without resorting to getting the proper litter tray out)

(Tips for cleaning a nice old osprey suitcase appreciated too).

winkywinkola Tue 22-Dec-15 08:21:02

Get the vet to check for any infection.

BubsandMoo Tue 22-Dec-15 08:27:33

Vet check - urinary discomfort or arthritis are two possibilities that jump out immediately (she's expected to leap up to the toilet to use it, she was peeing near it but didn't quite make it). Just because she can get up sometimes doesn't mean it's always easy/comfortable for a 10 year old. Can you provide her with alternative but easier to use facilities ie a few litter trays? The open suitcase probably looked a lot like a tray, and was semi-protected with the sides but she could still see any danger coming- sounds like a safe toilet location in cat terms.

It's only 'inappropriate' to you - she just wants to find somewhere to have a pee and isn't doing it to spite you. You may have to compromise with her!

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 08:30:21

She was checked only a few weeks ago. She can jump up perfectly happily (e.g. Onto the side in the kitchen to lick the butter/pots/breadcrumbs/just check for anything tasty, onto the windowsill outside & in).

She's displaying no other signs of UTI - no increased frequency in weeing. Just 'creativity' in location.

I'm going to have to give in and get the proper tray out, aren't I.

StuffandBother Tue 22-Dec-15 08:31:37

Could she be stressed about Christmas? My 18mth old Siamese has pissed in the cutlery tray, pile of clean washing and a cushion this week!!

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 08:32:03

I have this suspicion, when we get the flap sorted: 1) all her 'friends' will come to visit, and 2) she'll still decide it's too wet/windy/warm/cold/whatever to go out anyway.

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 08:34:20

Could be. Christmas is the one time of year she travels with us to DM's (timer feeder only does 2 days, we need 4 to do the family circuit, no flap means it's a bit unfair to expect a neighbour to feed her and risk letting her out and have to wait/catch her again or risk her being stuck out).

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 08:35:50

(That and we're all at home, including DS, which is pretty terrifying after having us all out at work/school for 8 weeks!)

marmaladegranny Tue 22-Dec-15 08:36:57

At 10 she may be a little old to start learning to use a cat flap.

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 08:37:59

She's used one in her youth (and I suspect uses the neighbour's to visit!)

cozietoesie Tue 22-Dec-15 09:09:13

I'd guess she doesn't like her current facilities and is on a demonstration. Haul out the proper litter tray - or preferably two of them in case she's a fusspot and doesn't like to pee and poo in the same tray. (Or at any rate, not in quick succession.)

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 09:24:27

That would be the ideal, cozie, but there's no logical room for two.

I have warned DH the cat hater that the litter tray is coming out again, probably for good.

You watch, this'll be the cat that now lives to 25.

winkywinkola Tue 22-Dec-15 09:48:19

Creativity in location can indicate an infection.

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 09:55:25

Yes, I know it can. But there are usually other indications too, of which there are currently none.

It strikes me as more of a protest, as PP said.

Or could be the neighbouring cat worrying her - she's got some scratches actually. She over-grooms her back end & forelegs when stressed. The forelegs are fine, but back is getting rough again. And scratches around chest area which look like more from fighting.

The neighbouring cat has fallen out with most others in the street (loud fights while ours is in) but he and ours seem to tolerate each other.

Though now I think about it, he hangs around our garden, in a kind of proprietary way. It could be this that's freaking her out, moreso in combination with us all at home & impending trip.

Does feliway actually work?

cozietoesie Tue 22-Dec-15 11:53:15

Litter tray and - in the fullness of time - a microchip cat flap then.

Good luck with DH.

IndomitabIe Tue 22-Dec-15 12:04:17

He says he hates cats, complains about her. But won't disturb her if she's sitting on his lap! It's all a show!

Just picked up a second litter tray, no feliway in town (vets are ordering some in for tomorrow).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now