Talk

Advanced search

Cat drinking Xmas tree water

(5 Posts)

Tree went up yesterday and didn't notice her doing it then (she's a majorly noisy drinker!) but heard a noise from under the tree and it she was lapping it up.

I googled it and am now having a bit of a panic after a website said the sap the tree leaks is extremely toxic to cats

I've wrapped wrapping paper around the gap between the stand and the trunk so it's no easily accessible

We lost our lovely boy in March to antifreeze poisoning and I'm terrified of it something like it happening again (she's an outdoor cat so god knows what she drinks outside but I feel like I at least have control over this)

hiddenhome2 Mon 21-Dec-15 23:52:05

It'll be well diluted, so I wouldn't imagine there'll be a problem. Just try to keep her away from it from now on. Perhaps bring some rainwater in for her as they seem to like that.

Mine love their cat fountain.

Thanks, she was quiet this morning-which isn't unusual if she's had a run in with another cat when out overnight but obviously I'm panicking slightly!

Waxlyrically Tue 22-Dec-15 10:36:41

Mine has been doing this and seems fine. He will drink from anywhere other than his water bowl - even the loo is preferable!

MrsBertMacklin Tue 22-Dec-15 14:01:27

Can you wrap something over the water to stop her getting to it, e.g. clingfilm? Put another, more enticing source of water, very close to the tree?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now