Talk

Advanced search

DP is moving in and our cats need to become a blended family

(7 Posts)
winterswan Sun 20-Dec-15 21:46:42

I have two, a brother and sister from the same litter, and DP has one. They are all rescue cats and prone to being a bit nervous, and my boy cat in particular hates DP is nervous.

We plan to let the cats have somewhere quiet with a litter tray and food and slowly hopefully get used to one another, any more tips? Thank you smile

VimFuego101 Sun 20-Dec-15 21:47:53

Feliway, and feed them on either side of a door so they associate the smell of the others with food/ positive things.

Heyheyheygoodbye Sun 20-Dec-15 21:49:47

I got a book called Cat vs Cat: Keeping the Peace When You Have MoreThan One Cat. I got it from Amazon and I followed the advice to the letter. It was a bit of a faff for us humans BUT we successfully blended two two-cat households into one four-cat household with no fights and minimal stress to the cats. I recommend it smile

Heyheyheygoodbye Sun 20-Dec-15 21:50:24

We also used Feliway as a pp said.

winterswan Sun 20-Dec-15 21:55:45

Will order some; they are scardey cats indeed!

kittyvet Sun 20-Dec-15 21:58:42

Feliway and careful introductions...follow it to the letter!
icatcare.org/advice/how-guides/how-introduce-new-adult-cat-your-cat

FireflyGirl Mon 21-Dec-15 22:40:49

Very careful introductions. Read as much as possible - I googled it and read quite a few pages.

Feed either side of a door (with windows of possible)
Lots of treats
Keep them entirely separate for the first couple of weeks, but swap their spaces so they get used to each others' scents (ie yours downstairs so they can go out, his upstairs, then swap).

Ours were both only children, and it took them about 3 weeks but other than a few swipes (because my cat is a provocative d**k) we've not had any problems and while they wont ever star in cute cuddled-up-together photos, they tolerate each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now