Talk

Advanced search

My cat has been attached by a dog

(52 Posts)
Heyheyheygoodbye Thu 17-Dec-15 14:28:25

The owner just fumbled the lead and the dog got my little girl cat. We were all screaming including the owner. DH got our cat back from the dog somehow.

Drove somehow to the vet. She is on oxygen and drips. She is in shock and critical. Her heart is very slow. They are doing the x-rays and things now.

Good thoughts would be appreciated. She is my darling and I will never forgot seeing her being shaken in that dog's mouth as long as I live.

Heyheyheygoodbye Thu 17-Dec-15 14:28:36

I meant attacked obviously

VinoEsmeralda Thu 17-Dec-15 14:30:25

Oh no, that is such an awful thing to happen. You are in my thoughts and I really hope she will pull through!

2pandasandapig Thu 17-Dec-15 14:31:09

Oh you poor thing and your poor cat. Sending positive healing thoughts her way. Have you had a nice hot drink, you'll probably be in shock and well as your gorgeous girl so don't forget to look after yourself as well.

Alfieisnoisy Thu 17-Dec-15 14:34:02

Oh bless you and her....what a terrible experience for all of you.

I am sending lots of healing thoughts her way....she's obviously shocked so let's hope as time goes on today the shock lessens and she can begin healing. Poor darling girl ...here's hoping she makes a rapid recovery.

Thinking of all of you including the dogs owner because it sounds like this was unexpected for them too. He/she is going to need a muzzle to stop the dog ever doing this again.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 17-Dec-15 15:20:22

Oh that's awful for her, I hope that you know who the dogs owner is because it needs putting down if it's attacking cats.

Heyheyheygoodbye Thu 17-Dec-15 15:20:55

Thank you everyone.

I do not blame the dog owner. It was an elderly lady and the lead just slipped from her hand when the dog pulled. My cat is small and kind of looks/moves like a rabbit so must have caught the dog's eye.

The vet has given us a cautiously optimistic update. Don't look like there are internal injuries but her heart is still very slow and her legs may need surgery. Not out of the woods but no internal bleeding is good I think.

pilates Thu 17-Dec-15 15:41:10

Op, my heart sunk when I read your post. So sorry for you, what a shock. As you were able to get her to the vets so quickly lets hope she stands a good chance for recovery.

PolterGoose Thu 17-Dec-15 16:03:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vinorosso74 Thu 17-Dec-15 16:16:21

Your poor girl. That must have been horrendous to see but lucky you were there to whisk her straight to the vet. Here's to a good recoveryflowers

Floralnomad Thu 17-Dec-15 16:25:00

Hope your cat makes a speedy recovery , you do need to report the attack to the dog warden so that the lady can be spoken to about controlling her dog in public . The dog does not need destroying - it's done what comes naturally to a dog but the owner needs to either have more control or the dog needs a muzzle . Is the dogs owner going to foot the vets bill ?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 17-Dec-15 20:15:50

How is she doing?

Heyheyheygoodbye Thu 17-Dec-15 20:31:29

Hi everyone.

I have just transferred her to the night hospital (they are separate premised where we live.) the prognosis isn't great to be honest.

Sorry if this is upsetting: she definitely has a broken leg, a dislocated ankle, puncture wounds, and horrific bruising that nearly made me pass out when I saw it. She may or may not also have a punctured lung, bruising around her heart, brain damage and a ruptured bladder. We are REALLY hoping she doesn't have those last four, obviously. The x-Ray's were inconclusive but they are doing blood tests and I think more scans now?

Have to wait and see what the night brings. She seemed to recognise my voice/smell, we took her own blanket/bed and they assure me she doesn't feel any pain and is comfortable/stoned. They will call me between 10 and 11. If she is more stable tomorrow they hope to do any surgery she needs internally, then her leg as soon as poss.

It's just shit. I can't get warm and my chest hurts and I keep bursting randomly into tears. Everyone has been lovely. I just wish I could go back and stop it happening. Other cats totally freaked out too of course.

Madbengalmum Thu 17-Dec-15 20:34:30

Heyhey, how awful, hope your puss pulls through.
I have cats and a dog, and cant think how you and the dog owner must feel xx

PolterGoose Thu 17-Dec-15 20:36:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 17-Dec-15 20:37:17

Poor girl, I imagine they will know more tomorrow.

mineofuselessinformation Thu 17-Dec-15 20:40:09

I hope for good news for you, op.

Kirjava Thu 17-Dec-15 20:42:51

Oh you poor thing, and your poor cat. Fingers crossed for good news tomorrow flowers

timtam23 Thu 17-Dec-15 21:09:52

Terribly sorry OP, what a shock for you. I hope she gets through tonight. Fingers & paws crossed here.

hiddenhome2 Thu 17-Dec-15 23:02:27

That's awful for you all. Poor kitty sad

Fingers crossed she pulls through.

QOD Thu 17-Dec-15 23:04:14

Oh no I'm so so sorry and hope she's OK
flowers

ophiotaurus Thu 17-Dec-15 23:17:58

So sorry this has happened. Poor poor cat and you. Sending positive thoughts flowers

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Thu 17-Dec-15 23:21:34

I think it still needs to be reported because think if that had been a child. The dog needs to be wearing a muzzle whenever out. And I hope the owners paying the vet bills.

Most importantly, I hope your wee cat pulls through.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 17-Dec-15 23:27:30

I hope your poor cat gets better very soon, OP.
Exasperated dogs who chase cats are highly unlikely to attack children. What an ignorant thing to say.

Heyheyheygoodbye Thu 17-Dec-15 23:58:01

Unfortunately she died. im heartbroken and may not reply anymore but thank you so much for your kindness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now