Talk

Advanced search

could I now be allergic to cat

(9 Posts)
hilbil21 Wed 16-Dec-15 15:19:56

Not sure if you guys can help but can you develop an allergy to cats all of a sudden?

I have a cat which I have had for 4 years, I lived with her for the first 2, no problems. My mum looked after her for the 3rd year so I was only with her for short periods of time when visiting etc. In the last year I have had a baby and my mum recently passed away. I now have the cat back, but my eyes and skin under my eyes is constantly itchy.

Could my pregnancy have changed anything meaning I'm now allergic?

Thanks

Xx

hilbil21 Wed 16-Dec-15 19:18:17

Anyone?

CherryPits Sat 19-Dec-15 14:32:04

Possibly. But if you're not sneezing and wheezing, you could just need those eyelid scrub things, they are called Ocuscrub here in the US but probably have a different name in the UK. Its a dust mite thing.

PolterGoose Sat 19-Dec-15 14:35:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonkylegs Sat 19-Dec-15 14:55:32

I developed an allergy to cats out of the blue. Grew up with them and love them but 2years ago upon visiting friends with cats I had to leave due to streaming eyes, itchy skin and wheeze and I have had a similar reaction several times since.
I also developed a severe allergy to pineapple around the same time which is a bit more life threatening but easy enough to avoid.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sat 19-Dec-15 15:11:53

I'm sorry to say it is possible. I also grew up with cats but developed asthma at the age of 30 from an allergy to my 2 cats. In the end my mum took my cats and my step dad developed asthma at the age of 60! We think it was one of the cats that was particularly allergenic.

hilbil21 Sat 19-Dec-15 15:59:40

Thanks folks. It's not toooooo bad, hopefully it doesn't get worse X

CherryPits Sat 19-Dec-15 16:21:15

There are anti-dander sprays you can use on them. And if they are long haired they should be brushed daily and bathed occasionally (I know they don't like it).

Quodlibet Thu 24-Dec-15 22:08:56

Petal cleanse is good. I'm mildly allergic to our cat (majorly allergic to other cats) and it helps a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now