Talk

Advanced search

My cat died today.

(20 Posts)
imjustahead Tue 15-Dec-15 19:05:27

Suffering unexplained fever for 6 weeks, anitbiotics didn't help for long, he was just four. I lost two cats in the past 5 yrs, both at two yrs old. Felv, and a road accident Each cat had replaced the last.

I did everything i could, tests, for blood Felv, poop tests. But he took a turn for the worse last night and they discovered he had pus in his lungs, and i nursed him and took him in for scans, but there was no point. His lungs showed it was probably FIP. Prognosis was so poor.

My dd has suffered form extreme mental health problems this year, and has had a dreadful time, having to stop school.

She hasn't even cried. Says she feared it, as he was so ill for so long.
I am so scared she will break down and i won't be able to help her enough, and that she will go under like she has this year.
I couldn't even bring myself to go up there to be with him. Just couldn't do it.

It hurts so much, and have felt sick and had the runs all day. So shocked.
help me xxxxxxxxxxx

Mincepies76 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:21:03

So sorry for your loss thanks

Moonax Tue 15-Dec-15 19:29:09

Just awful for you all. Will it be any comfort to your dd that the cat is out of his misery? It sounds as though you are all in shock and no wonder. Lots and lots of sympathy even if no practical advice flowers

imjustahead Tue 15-Dec-15 19:48:55

thankyou.

she is 13, and has said she isn't as shocked as the others as he had been so ill for so long.

I guess i shouldn 't worry, but i do. Depression has been in this house all year.
Why do i feel so terrible, is it shock, even though i 'knew' deep down?

He was so lovely, a black cat, a wuss, a sweet sweet chap. sad I love him so much.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 15-Dec-15 20:23:14

Your poor cat, FIP is awful. Just awful. flowers

imjustahead Tue 15-Dec-15 20:54:00

he handled it well, he tried so hard. i tried with him. I never thought i'd go thru this again, like this. Poor boy. I keep thinking i see or hear him. normal i guess

cozietoesie Tue 15-Dec-15 21:11:11

Yes - it often happens. Sadly.

Your cats have had such atrocious bad luck and I really feel for poor DD. It sounds as if she's bottling things up a little.

Has the FIP been confirmed? I was wondering whether you might consider fostering for a little -for DD's sake as well as the cats - but I'm not sure if you would be allowed to for a while if you're an FIP household.

Might DD like to volunteer for a local cat or dog rescue instead? That would afford her plenty of cuddle time at least.

goodiegoodieyumyum Tue 15-Dec-15 21:15:47

So sorry to hear of your loss, I hope your daughter will be okay.

PolterGoose Tue 15-Dec-15 22:08:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sleepingtom Tue 15-Dec-15 22:50:36

So sorry for your loss sadflowers

imjustahead Wed 16-Dec-15 07:46:10

thankyou. i have so much to do before the end of term, have woken feeling shit.

DD has gone off to her special unit, which started this week. She is brave.
I still feel shaky. x

imjustahead Wed 16-Dec-15 07:47:54

Fip not confirmed, i have another cat. I expect the vet will ring today about that, but this cat is older and even if she has the virus it's not presented yet. I am reading that it may never, and that i shouldn't get another one. I don't want one anyway, done this 3 times, the replacement thing. xxx

cozietoesie Wed 16-Dec-15 08:37:18

Let us know how things go.

cozietoesie Wed 16-Dec-15 08:41:41

PS - I don't think, if it was indeed FIP, that you can never have a new cat. Just that you might have to wait a bit for the virus to die out. ( 6 months comes to mind but I could have misremembered - there are posters here who have had FIP in their houses so they'll be able to better inform you.)

imjustahead Wed 16-Dec-15 12:02:55

thankyou cosie. xxx means alot to get a reply right now. i feel wretched.xx

cozietoesie Wed 16-Dec-15 12:50:52

You do feel wretched. I cried for a week when Twoago died - the slightest things seemed to emphasise the loss. Like you, I'd fought very hard with him and yet it didn't work out well. It passes more or less - you just have to hang on in there.

How are DD and your other cat doing?

imjustahead Wed 16-Dec-15 19:05:20

I'm sorry you went through a drawn out expereince too. I have searched FIp on here, and found a little comfort from others' experiences in that i don't feel so alone, guilty, and it's ok to be angry.

dd hasn't cried but i think it will come, as things do tip you. I feel like I've been in a fight, or something.

My other cat is very independent and i don't think she's really noticed much, as thry weren't friendly to each other. I guess grief just has to be 'done' sad
Finding it hard to think about all i need to do for xmas. I am a single mum, so bit lonely. xx

cozietoesie Wed 16-Dec-15 20:23:14

Come on to MN if you're feeling low - even if only to read threads. Lots of people here who will know just how you feel.

Take care of yourselves.

imjustahead Wed 16-Dec-15 21:20:42

thanks for getting back to me. I have been on MN for ten years under various guises, and always find help here. x

JennaRoss Wed 16-Dec-15 21:28:11

I'm so sorry flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now