Talk

Advanced search

Cat seems injured, shaking/shuddering...

(18 Posts)
helmetcat Tue 08-Dec-15 20:44:59

Cat came home a couple of hours ago, limping a bit but asking for food and wandering around a bit. He ate about half his dinner then his limp seemed more pronounced. He went upstairs and jumped on the bed, then downstairs (following me). He was putting his sore leg down properly about once in every 4/5 steps. He then curled up and was shaking/shuddering, especially noticeable around his bottom/back legs.
I called the vet who said he's probably had an accident (he was very muddy with a scratch on his face so cat fight/got bumped by a car possibly?) Vet said it's best to monitor him as it's probably just shock making him shake. He's in a quiet dark room and the shaking seems to have eased off, but if I stroke him its more noticeable again.

I'm going to monitor him for another half hour or so, but at what point would you start to worry?

MrsBertMacklin Tue 08-Dec-15 20:48:19

sad
Is there any swelling. Will he let you near him to check?

I'm only a novice owner, but quite surprised that the vet didn't offer to have him in for an emergency check up?

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 08-Dec-15 20:49:13

I would be worried now, poor cat, but then I am an instant worrier.

I was going to say, when I saw your thread title, it sounds like the cat is in shock, but I see your vet has told you that already. Cats can be good at hiding serious injury, and can take themselves off quietly when very seriously injured, so if I were you, I would keep the cat with you all night and check him regularly. Can you do a little examination and see if you can see any injury?

Sorry, not to be more help than this. Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

cozietoesie Tue 08-Dec-15 20:50:50

Shuddering? I'm afraid I'd have him to the vet directly.

NarcyCow Tue 08-Dec-15 21:06:53

I'd definitely bring him to be checked. They really are very good at hiding injuries so if he's visibly distressed I'm be quite concerned.

helmetcat Tue 08-Dec-15 21:07:07

Ok, just had another check. He's curled up and has moved around and changed his position a couple of times. He's not visibly shaking anymore which is a good thing!

If I put my hand on him I can sometimes feel a bit of a vibration (like when they're doing a big purr or a shiver), especially around his back legs but it's not constant. It's not happened now for about 15 mins.

And aww, he just snuggled his head into my hand and did a little purr <wobbly bottom lip>.

I was really surprised when the vet said to keep him home.. she was very calming though!

helmetcat Tue 08-Dec-15 21:18:25

Sorry, think I'm as shocked as he is, too much babbling!

mrsbert and dumble no noticeable swelling, he's happy for me to stroke all his legs and tummy but did grumble when I tried to pick him up. He was interested in food too (as usual grin ) so I hope those are all good signs.

So glad he came home, he came in via the back garden which means he got over a 6 foot fence somehow! So again that hopefully is a positive.

dodobookends Tue 08-Dec-15 21:18:35

Check his claws. Our vet told us that when cats are in an accident they kind of cling on to the road and scrape and rip their claws to bits.

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 08-Dec-15 21:31:04

Yes, definitely check his claws.

Also, don't be too reassured by the purring. They can purr when in pain. It isn't just a contentment thing.

Don't let him out tonight. Keep him with you and reassess in the morning.

I remember one of our cats when I was a child fell asleep on the back seat of the car and my dad didn't realise he was there and drove off with an open window. First Dad knew of the cat's presence was when cat jumped out of the moving car and was unfortunately hit by a car behind. He was missing for some hours but eventually came home, in shock, just as your cat seems to be. All I remember is the vet telling us to keep him in all night as cats can die of shock if allowed to retreat off by themselves.

helmetcat Tue 08-Dec-15 22:22:19

Ok, checked his claws and they look fine. So scary not knowing what's happened though sad

We'll definitely keep him in tonight, and keep an eye on him through the night and tomorrow. He seems a lot more comfortable now, no shaking or shuddering thank goodness, although I'm still really worried. Thanks for the advice.

Moonax Tue 08-Dec-15 22:32:23

If he's interacting with you, that's probably a good sign as injured cats will often hide and try to stay out of the way. Definitely keep him in overnight, make sure he has food and water and take him to the vet for a check up tomorrow.

helmetcat Tue 08-Dec-15 22:52:51

Yep, when i check on him he rolls over and wants me to stroke his tummy. He's had a few good stretches so hopefully he hasn't broken anything. I think I'm going to have to train him to talk so he can tell me he's ok before I keel over with worry! smile

dodobookends Wed 09-Dec-15 16:59:15

How is your poor moggy today?

pilates Wed 09-Dec-15 17:30:07

Helmetcat, did you take him to the vets?

lljkk Wed 09-Dec-15 17:40:46

I'd feel ok as long as he's eating, breathing & not bleeding.

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 09-Dec-15 19:05:05

Another one checking in to see how Puss is today.

helmetcat Thu 10-Dec-15 16:07:45

Cat is doing very well and has been given a clean bill of health smile
Still no idea what happened but he's completely back to normal and leaping over fences and up trees! Thank you for all the advice!

dodobookends Thu 10-Dec-15 19:49:29

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now