Talk

Advanced search

Afraid for my elderly cat

(5 Posts)
KakiFruit Tue 08-Dec-15 12:18:04

He's 16/17 (a guess because he was a rescue) and we're going to the vets this afternoon because he's been vomiting for the past week or so. He's always vomited fairly regularly - he's long haired and won't tolerate being brushed so gets furballs - but it's been almost daily.

I'm scared for him because of his age. sad I know if anything is wrong then this is probably it, and I can't bear the thought of not having him. I adopted him in 2005 and we have such a bond.

I'm not asking for advice or anything, I just need to vent because I'm at work surrounded by non-cat lovers and can't talk about this!

Vinorosso74 Tue 08-Dec-15 12:36:39

Poor cat. You're doing the right thing taking him to the vet.
I'm no vet but cats can vomit for lots of reasons. Your vet might suggest doing some blood tests to see if anything is causing it. He may just need a change in diet possibly some medication.
Hopefully it's something easy to treat. They do like to cause us humans to worry!

GRW Tue 08-Dec-15 13:46:24

My rescue cat was like this and losing weight too, and turned out to have hyperthyroidism. It can be controlled with tablets, special food or an operation to remove the thyroid gland. She has done very well on tablets for over a year and the sickness stopped. She has recently been diagnosed with kidney failure as well a the age of 18, so is on special food for that now. I also don't know when her birthday is as she was 5 when I got her, but I know she was born in 1997.I hope he gets on ok at the vet and feels better soon.

cozietoesie Tue 08-Dec-15 13:56:53

The very best for this afternoon.

Seniorboy had a vomity period and it turned out to be Horrible Teeth. (But there are many possible causes.)

Let us know how things go.

KakiFruit Tue 08-Dec-15 14:44:04

Thank you all. smile He has been losing weight, though with a high-calorie supplement it's steadied out at the lower end of normal, so hyperthyroidism is a good possibility. I gave him breakfast when I got up but took all the dry food away so he's ready 'starved' for blood tests. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now