Talk

Advanced search

Help! Cat peeing on random things

(7 Posts)
LikeSilver Fri 27-Nov-15 09:27:27

We have a boy and a girl cat age 6 who are brother and sister. Both neutered, both indoor cats. Recently the boy cat has been urinating on random items in different rooms - a blanket, the baby's car seat angry, a couple of DH's work bags. Our children are 3 and nearly 1, so although he found their arrivals quite an upheaval I don't think it's connected as the timing doesn't fit. We tried a Feliway plug in, which I thought had sorted it but this morning I can smell that he has peed on something in the living room, haven't found what it is yet. Any ideas? How can we stop it?

BertPuttocks Fri 27-Nov-15 09:32:50

It might be worth getting him checked out by a vet.

When my cat started doing that it turned out to be due to crystals forming in his urine. He ended up needing to be catheterised because of the blockage and he was very ill.

I think it's supposed to be quite common in neutered males of 4-6yrs (ours was 4yrs old at the time) so yours would fall within that range.

3catsandcounting Fri 27-Nov-15 09:37:52

A couple of things could be happening here. He's an indoor cat with very young DC around. Cats aren't always tolerant of change and disruption (mine left home permanently when my kids were tiny,)
Is he in good health? I'm thinking urinary infection - does he eat a lot of dry food? Has he been checked at the vet recently?

3catsandcounting Fri 27-Nov-15 09:46:49

Bert - my youngest boy had urinary tract problems, luckily it was sorted before it became really bad.
He would pee in unusual places, the bathroom sink was a favourite, (but at least I could clean that easily!)
I realised quickly, as the blood was evident in a white sink. Turns out I was giving him too much dry food. Apparently their internal plumbing is much shorter than a female, and problems can occur much more quickly.

LikeSilver Fri 27-Nov-15 09:46:28

Thank you. We'll have to get him checked. He was last at the vet to have most of his teeth removed about a year ago, so he must be due a booster soon anyway. He seems in good health, he doesn't eat much dry food (although he would love to!) as we have to watch his weight carefully due to him being an indoor cat, what he has is very limited.

thecatneuterer Fri 27-Nov-15 14:32:41

Don't hang around. Get him to a vet this evening, or tomorrow or Monday at the very latest. I was also going to say it sounds like crystals and he could become totally blocked at any time, and a total blockage, if not treated immediately, can result in a very painful death.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 27-Nov-15 20:28:23

Even if it's just a normal uti can you imagine having an infection with no pain relief or antibiotics for days on end?.

Pets at home vets are open saturdays if yours isnt.

With our cat it was infection and I felt awful when they told me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now