Talk

Advanced search

How much food does she need?

(6 Posts)
treaclesoda Mon 23-Nov-15 12:07:27

I have acquired a young cat, a few months old, not fully grown yet. (Rehomed from a friend, who due to unforeseen circumstances had to suddenly move back to her home country at short notice).

I've never had a cat of my own. How much food does she need? How often? She is a skinny wee thing but I'm guessing that's due to her age? I don't want to starve or overfeed her.

treaclesoda Mon 23-Nov-15 12:09:15

My friend told me but I can't remember and she is very stressed with moving and I don't want to be ringing her at the moment to ask her to go over it all again.

MidnightVelvetthe4th Mon 23-Nov-15 12:11:49

When you register her with the vet they will weigh her & tell you if she is underweight.

My cat has dry biscuits down all the time & she has half a pouch of wet food twice per day. I did try her with 2 pouches of food, one in the morning & one in the evening but she didn't eat it all so I cut down to half & she's doing fine. She also has a water bowl down all the time.

Congrats on your new cat pics

treaclesoda Mon 23-Nov-15 12:14:59

Thank you. That sounds pretty much like what I'm doing, but I was just worrying that I'm doing it all wrong!

BoxofSnails Mon 23-Nov-15 15:43:51

There's advice on the packets of most food, by weight of cat. Ours (weighed by DH holding them, no, they don't stand on the scales!) are between 3 and 4 kg, they get half a pouch of wet food in the morning and a whole one in the evening plus some dry food twice a day. On unlimited dry food they were gaining weight.
Enjoy your lovely new cat!!

emwithme Mon 23-Nov-15 16:10:26

Our kittens are four months old and weigh a smidge under 2kg each (going by the difference on the bathroom scales when I hold them)

They are free fed (ie it's down and available all the time) Royal Canin kitten food - they get through about 1 1/2 of the shallow Mason Cash bowls a day and get a pouch of Whiskas kitten food between them twice a day (roughly lunchtime and bedtime). When we first got them, they were getting four pouches (ie 1/2 a pouch each, four times a day) but they weren't eating it all, so we cut it down. They eat all of their bedtime food but only about half of the lunchtime lot, but I'm not planning on cutting it any further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now