Talk

Advanced search

Worms/caterpillars?

(7 Posts)
Hoppinggreen Sun 22-Nov-15 09:56:47

I have 2 cats that go outside and seem well, eating ok etc.
For the last week or so I have come down and n the mornings to a small amount of cat sick, mostly just looked like regurgitated food ( dry Iams)
One day last week when I wiped up the sick I though there was a slightl tinge of blood in It and then yesterday as I put the wipe I had cleaned it up with in the bin I thought I spotted something odd in it but it was as I dropped it in the bin so didn't really see properly.
This morning there was the usual small pile of regurgitated food and as I cleaned it up I had a closer look and there were 4 or 5 what looked like caterpillars in it!! I've been online but all cat worms are small and these are quite large. I have texted a friend who is a vet and obviously will get straight onto my vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what they might be?
Both cats are wormed and seem healthy.

cozietoesie Sun 22-Nov-15 11:48:18

Do they go out at night? I'm thinking that worms come out onto the surface of the earth at night and snake around (usually with part of them still in their worm hole) so they might prove a tempting prospect. You'll see them if you go out with a torch - look elsewhere than directly under the torch beam because they're amazingly sensitive to light and would likely disappear into their holes too quickly for a human to clock them if they had light directly on them. (But not too quickly for a hunting cat.)

Slugs are also still coming out - unless there's a real cold snap - but a cat would have to be demented to eat a few of those.

Hoppinggreen Sun 22-Nov-15 12:38:39

Yes they go out at night but can't see why they would just suddenly eat worms. Both well fed.
Had another look ( retch) and they look more like caterpillars or similar.
One of them is pretty fat and lazy but the other one does hunt some times ( mainly squirrels with little success).

Hoppinggreen Mon 23-Nov-15 12:07:42

Took said hideous parasites that we probably are all infected with to show the vet and they are ......... Caterpillars!!!
No idea why the heck my well fed cat would eat such a thing.
The vet had never seen it before but had heard of one case and asked to keep them (retch again) as it was very interesting!!!
No huge vet bill though so that's nice and the cats both seem fine.

cozietoesie Mon 23-Nov-15 12:48:00

Weird - are you in the UK? I'm surprised that there are any around at this time of year.

Did the vet say what kind they were?

Hoppinggreen Mon 23-Nov-15 12:50:21

Yes UK.
The vet said she might google them later when she's got time just for curiosity.

cozietoesie Mon 23-Nov-15 12:52:34

PS - cats eating prey has very little indeed to do with whether they're hungry or not. A mouser could be full to the gills with pouch but if something runs across their path, they'll have at it in any case. If it wriggles, flutters or scurries, it's fair game to a hunting cat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now