Talk

Advanced search

Do cats ever drink the water you put down for them?

(96 Posts)
Minimammoth Sat 21-Nov-15 21:35:00

My kitten never seems to drink her water, but is obsessed by water. Tries to catch it from the tap. Sits in the sink ages.

Pipestheghost Sat 21-Nov-15 21:39:46

One of mine used to drink out of the toilet bowl, another used to drink from the cold tap when running a bath. My friends dog will only drink cold water from the bath tap, she has to run the tap at regular intervals throughout the day grin

Costacoffeeplease Sat 21-Nov-15 21:40:29

I have some that paddle in the water bowl, some that like to drink from a running tap, and one who insists on fresh water about a dozen times a day, and will only deign to drink from the water bowl when she's seen it freshly filled from the tap. Some of the others never seem to drink water at all

LBOCS2 Sat 21-Nov-15 21:41:08

Mostly they drink out of pint glasses that I've got with my water in. I'm not keen on sharing, but they go off it when I stop drinking from the glass... Contrary animals.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 21-Nov-15 21:41:30

No, they drink puddle water, flower water, bath water, drippy tap water, MY bedside water (and any coffee they find) and the dogs' water.

I never put water out for the cats.

GinandJag Sat 21-Nov-15 21:41:56

Mine doesn't. He will drink from puddles, however.

strawberrypenguin Sat 21-Nov-15 21:41:49

Mine does but not all cats drink a lot - my parents cat rarely drinks her water.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 21-Nov-15 21:43:24

Mine only drinks out of her bowls and loves getting her fresh bowls for the day - follows me to the kitchen when I'm refilling them, gets through about 20-30ml a day depending on the weather.

Took no interest in the water fountain I got her or my drinking water.

BerylStreep Sat 21-Nov-15 21:44:15

Mine will only drink from their water bowl after it has been sitting for at least 24 hours. They prefer our glasses beside the bed, and licking the shower tray hmm.

hatters Sat 21-Nov-15 21:44:16

Ours drinks a lot from her bowl.
She used to run into the bathroom after a shower to drink from the puddle hmm.
She will also drink from a glass left lying around. I didn't realise this until I woke up to hear a thp thp thp and saw her drinking from my bedside water.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 21-Nov-15 21:44:26

...and Reuben went through a phase of stalking anyone who had a shower so he could dabble about in the shower tray once you were done, and lick the drips off the doors He doesn't do that anymore but it's surprisingly disconcerting to see a cat spying on you in the shower.

emwithme Sat 21-Nov-15 21:45:25

I think my kittens are defective.

They drink their water from their water bowl.
They carried on eating the food even after I had 20 kg delivered (mega-special price on zooplus!)

They're only four months old. They have time to learn, I'm sure.

hatters Sat 21-Nov-15 21:45:48

Seems showers are popular!

Bishboshbash Sat 21-Nov-15 21:45:57

Mine only drink out of the sink if I put water in it, never out of the water bowl!

BerylStreep Sat 21-Nov-15 21:46:17

Hatters yours sound exactly like ours!

<paranoia setting in that Hatters is in fact my DH>

Donge13 Sat 21-Nov-15 21:46:57

Only puddles will do for my moggie

DramaAlpaca Sat 21-Nov-15 21:48:17

DS is into painting Warhammer models and has to share the water bowl he uses for rinsing his brushes with the cat. If there's no painty water available the cat asks us to put some water in the bathroom basin for him.

QueenCardi Sat 21-Nov-15 21:49:52

Mine won't drink water that's put out for them. They either like totally fresh from dripping taps or manky puddle water.

NotEmptyNow Sat 21-Nov-15 21:50:21

Mine does sometimes but she prefers to share from a glass, drink from basin in sink, steal the dog's, or drink the juice from tinned veg.

redbinneo Sat 21-Nov-15 21:50:45

Bedside water or toilet bowl, never the water in their dish.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 21-Nov-15 21:53:27

yes hatters ....and anyone who has a cat and a night time glass of water is totally kidding themselves if they don't think they are sharing.

Faerie (Reuben's sister) is much more refined, she wont risk squishing her face into a glass and making a show of herself, she dabbles her paw in and licks the water off in a very dainty fashion.

PolterGoose Sat 21-Nov-15 21:55:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DixieNormas Sat 21-Nov-15 21:56:38

No she drinks any water she can find outside instead

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 21-Nov-15 21:57:30

I have four, and they rarely touch their water bowls.
Toilets, sinks, drips, my drinks etc.
Fuzzy wee shites.

Pointlessfan Sat 21-Nov-15 21:57:26

Yes, but only since I have moved it away from his food bowl - the vet suggested that and it worked, worth a try?
He prefers my glass of water though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now