Talk

Advanced search

okay....have just acquired a kitten....

(20 Posts)
tilliebob Sat 21-Nov-15 20:40:29

HELP!!

Haven't had a cat in about 30 years and DH had appeared with this 5mth old (we think) kitten. What do I need to know? She's here with her carrier, which she happily goes in and out of, a litter tray she's pretty much used to (we bloody hope) and she's just mooching about getting a feel of the place. I'm trying to keep our youngest DS calm and he's mostly excited about the laser mouse pointing thing grin.

I hope to get her trained to outside as I've never had a cat with a litter tray and aren't madly keen on the idea at all. We live in the country and my childhood cats never had an issue doing what they needed to outside (I know that's a different debate on this site but hopefully not in here).

What do I need to know? I'll ring the vet tomorrow about getting her checked out, immunised, chipped and dressed when she's old enough. Oh, and pet insurance. Years of dog ownership has that drummed into me.

thecatneuterer Sat 21-Nov-15 20:47:50

Well she's old enough to do everything right now, especially neutering. So you need to book her in next week for neutering, vaccinations and chip. She will also need flea treatment and worming but I would discuss that with the vet.

If you are going to try to get her to not use a tray then of course you will need a cat flap. A microchip operated one would be best. But all 'experts' recommend always having a tray, even if you cat does usually go outside. Often cats don't like to go out if it's raining or cold, or if the ground is frozen, or if there is another scary cat outside or something similar, and not having a tray will be distressing for them and may result in them peeing on your bed/sofa or whatever.

Generally speaking it's much safer for cats to be kept in at night anyway, so a tray will be a must then.

Yes of course insurance is important. I can't recommend specific companies but I'm sure others can.

Collars are best avoided.

That's all I can think of for now smile

Longdistance Sat 21-Nov-15 20:51:23

A picture or it never happened.

I'm so envy

I would love another kitty. Sadly, Dh isn't really a cat lover, and we have no time for a dog.

tilliebob Sat 21-Nov-15 20:59:15

She's a bit devil cat here shock

Longdistance Sat 21-Nov-15 21:08:17

envy

My previous cat was a devil cat, a real character. I'm sure he thought he was the boss he was the boss

tilliebob Sat 21-Nov-15 21:43:04

My DD is crying with happiness. Since my dad died 3 mths ago, she's felt it hard. Now she's so happy, I think she's realised how sad she's been.

Cat therapy working already wink

Pipestheghost Sat 21-Nov-15 21:43:46

All cats are the boss grin

Pipestheghost Sat 21-Nov-15 21:45:28

X post with you! Cat therapy is brilliant smile

Meow75 Sat 21-Nov-15 21:47:17

Most importantly of all, do you have a name yet?!?!

Pipestheghost Sat 21-Nov-15 21:49:39

Scratch post is essential.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 21-Nov-15 22:12:54

Where did he get her?

PolterGoose Sat 21-Nov-15 22:13:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sat 21-Nov-15 22:17:39

Oh she's a very pretty little girl! Does she have a name yet? FelineFurTherapy is the best smile

tilliebob Sat 21-Nov-15 22:44:53

Her name at least for tonight is Misty grin

Pipestheghost Sat 21-Nov-15 23:09:31

Very sweet smile

Archfarchnad Sun 22-Nov-15 10:52:29

She's a gorgeous little thing (on the non-devil cat photos). You'll get loads of practical help from the Ladies of the Litter here. Cat Neuterer and Lone Cat with Kitten are both professionals who've helped countless posters over the years. Cozietosie and Fluffy have loads of experience as cat people too.
Just one thing worries me now - if you're going to use a collar, please tell me it is a quick release one. Collars have been associated with so many gruesome deaths.

tilliebob Sun 22-Nov-15 11:11:02

The collar will be off soon - she came with it on last night but she'll be getting chipped anyway. I've made an appointment with the vet at 3 today to get her checked over and get some advice grin

Notmeagain1 Mon 23-Nov-15 15:14:28

Awww she is beautiful. Love her color patterns. Yes to the scratching posts, they are a must.

FinestGrundyTurkey Mon 23-Nov-15 15:23:34

She is gorgeous smile

Zooplus is your friend - you can get almost everything you'll need from there

m.zooplus.com/shop/cats

She'll need a taller scratching post than the one in the devil cat pic - they like to streeeeeeetch!

FinestGrundyTurkey Mon 23-Nov-15 15:24:55

Oops, sorry, this is UK one

m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now