Talk

Advanced search

Fucking live mouse in my living room...again!

(8 Posts)
SparklyTinselTits Fri 20-Nov-15 07:32:01

So we've just started our morning with a game of "catch the mouse" yet again. My 4 year old female is always bringing mice in the house....on the rare occasion that she actually kills them first, I'm not that bothered, easy to get rid of. But recently, she has taken a liking to bringing them in alive.
We've tried leaving her in the kitchen at night, but then she still does it, and I end up with mice behind my appliances which are a lot harder to catch!
Has anyone got some kind of magical solution to stop her doing it?!
It's only mice that she leaves alive. If she goes on a murderous rampage with pigeons, or rats, she kills them, and politely leaves her victim on the patio. But she seems to have some sort of penchant for playing with live mice angry

thecatneuterer Fri 20-Nov-15 12:03:13

My mum's cat used to do this. The only 'solution' they found was to lock the cat flap and to police her coming in the house - no entry with mouse. That's certainly not ideal though as it defeats the object of having a cat flap.

Apparently some boffin in the States has invented something that scans the profile of the cat before the flap will open. Something in the mouth will alter the profile so the flap won't open until they drop it. Brilliant idea but not in general production unfortunately.

My mum just used to set humane traps and release them outside again. She was convinced that the same mice had been brought in multiple times. Hard to prove thoughsmile

Oldraver Fri 20-Nov-15 13:43:24

I had a cat that did this a few times. The first time was in DS's bedroom and he threw a chair at the mouse hmm

The next time I was on the stairs screaming while the son chased the mouse around the kitchen

My Mum once had a cat that bought a mouse onto her bed....she didnt know until the morning when she saw the blood....she thought the cat was just playing in the night. Well he was but with a mouse

CMOTDibbler Fri 20-Nov-15 13:46:52

Get another cat. One of my three brings mice in, and then leaves them after yelling about how clever she was. Fortunatly the other two come running at her call and catch the mouse and eat it.

SparklyTinselTits Sat 21-Nov-15 07:16:10

CMOT we recently lost our other cat (a big Tom cat), so maybe that was it? He was finishing them off before we noticed?!

chemenger Sat 21-Nov-15 13:01:04

I have woken up nose-to-nose with a live mouse, I'm not sure which of us got the biggest fright. Little boy cat brings in live mice at least once a week. Mostly we can catch them using a plastic box and put them back outside. It's the injured ones that have to be dispatched that I don't likesad. He's only got top fangs so he has a soft mouth so often they are unhurt.

Sadandconfusednamechanger Sat 21-Nov-15 16:23:38

I was reading an article in the Petplan magazine that said they bring them in live to try and teach you to hunt. Your cat might be feeling that you need to be taken under their wing as you never seem to bring home any mice, much as they would teach their young. grin

SparklyTinselTits Sat 21-Nov-15 18:45:10

sad pointing out our inadequancies sounds very much like something my girl would be inclined to do grin she's probably having a field day watching DH trying to corner our guest with Tupperware

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now