Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a solution for neighbours aggressive cat

(23 Posts)
givemecheese Thu 19-Nov-15 22:52:57

I hope someone here might have some advice about a problem I have. We moved house to a more rural spot about 4 months ago. Great for the cats and the kids we thought!!
There is a little cloud on our horizon however. There is a cat who lives a few doors down (Bengal) who has been attacking both of my cats. I can deal with this, cats will be cats. My girl is too afraid to really go out but she seems happy in the house so I'm not too bothered. Young man who is about 8 months old keeps getting into scuffles, no real damage done yet, he tends to hold his own for a bit then run inside through the cat flap.
This is where the problem starts. The other cat has started following them in, first just in the conservatory, now in the living room!!! We have tried chasing him away when he is in our garden, water pistols and buckets of water. He is relentless, nothing will put him off!!
I don't really know what else I can do, I am also worried as we were planning on getting some chickens. What if he gets hold of them?
Does anyone have any advice? My cats are very unsettled, have started pooing everywhere aside from their trays sad

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 19-Nov-15 23:14:35

Only one answer microchip cat flap it keeps out the most determined intruder ( I heard him hit ours once). I have the sure flap. Yes it is more expensive, but after two occasions of poo and we everywhere after he came in it was worth it.

CuckooCalling Thu 19-Nov-15 23:18:07

Yep - microchip cat flap does the job (we had issue with Bengal cats too)

TuttiFrutti Fri 20-Nov-15 17:19:00

We got a Sureflap cat flap for exactly this reason: neighbour's aggressive Bengal was coming into our kitchen. They do work!

givemecheese Fri 20-Nov-15 18:25:49

Thanks all, will look into these. I wonder if we would be able to have chickens in our garden or if it would try and attack them too.
I really want to love all animals but this one is an a-hole.

OnTheEdgeToday Fri 20-Nov-15 18:31:21

Dont bengals like water? They are also well known for being aggressive and fighting. Other cats dont really stand a chance with their size and shit. Im pretty sure a sensible owner of a bengal would keep their cat indoors or take them out on a leash as they would know what the breed is like

givemecheese Fri 20-Nov-15 20:58:47

Do you think a conversation with the neighbour would be a waste of time? If I knew my cat was going into other peoples houses I'd be mortified.
I am thinking we'd have no chance of getting chickens while he is around....

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:00:44

If you can get a leash on my bengal you are welcome to take him for a walk.

Their highly territorial, that's the issue. Other cats can let it go if a cat walks by the house but bengals take issue to it.

He is a mommies boy lap cat at home.

givemecheese Fri 20-Nov-15 21:07:05

So do you think he might have less issue with chickens in our garden as they aren't cats.
This cat is so unreasonable....its our garden!!!!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:29:47

I wouldn't risk chickens. Unless you can get really big fuck off chickens with a cockerel to protect them.

The cat has no idea his behavior is socially unacceptable. Next doors ginger tom comes in to our house to finish off leftover cat food and I turn a blind eye.

Did you see the bbc documentery with the cats where they put cameras onto cats and filmed who was going where? Lots of owners saying "oh she's quite a homegirl, she never gets into fights" when in fact their cat is the feline lara croft.

OnTheEdgeToday Fri 20-Nov-15 21:44:24

That programme was great. I loved how the cats in the surrounding areas kind of had shifts. Avoided going out at certain times because of other cats, and going in when the cat enemy was due to come back out.

No i definitely would risk chickens

OnTheEdgeToday Fri 20-Nov-15 21:44:31

Wouldnt

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 21:50:50

My chickens terrorise my cats.......have no idea about Bengals though. Chickens also take the dogs on and have the upper hand over them. All apart from one chicken who used to run.....dog used to shake that one about. She met a sticky end but wasn't sure if it was a dog or a ferret.

Cockerel is a good idea. My friend can't get post delivered anymore as her cockerel terrorised the postman once too often.

Or you could get a walk in aviary. I got quite a decent size one for £450.

potap123 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:55:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

givemecheese Sat 21-Nov-15 15:06:42

Ooo, I will check out that programme on cats, sounds very amusing!!
Last night he got trapped in our conservatory, I thought I'd locked it both ways but I'd locked it so he could get in but couldn't get out. He didn't seem very pleased about it and hid behind the sofa refusing to come out. I went to find the neighbour to see if they could get him out and found he had been locked out, food outside with no cat flap to get back in. This has narked me a bit.
There isn't any way we could cat proof our garden so I think it will have to be an avery for the chooks and microchip cat flaps.
I am hoping now he has seen he can't escape when he wants to it might discourage him from coming back in.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Sat 21-Nov-15 15:29:04

I have a Bengal too, he's been known to terrorise neighbours' cats and follow them into their homes. He's really a lovely boy and it's sad that others think he's an a-hole! It's in his nature to be territorial and he doesn't understand where the boundaries lie - your mortgage/title deed is a bit irrelevant to a cat! As far as he's concerned if a smaller/weaker animal is 'letting him in' your house, that makes its his house!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 21-Nov-15 15:50:22

Poor sod out in this weather with no shelter.

lljkk Sat 21-Nov-15 16:02:41

Astonished that someone would lock out an expensive cat. Wow, people are thick. shock

OurBlanche Sat 21-Nov-15 16:13:57

Do get chickens. They often terrorise a cat that thinks it is boss. But you can ensure they are safe with an electric stock fence. They are easy to find and set up, cheap to run and all animals learn to keep off them very quickly. Kids take a while longer, they may actually like the bump and squeal smile

Madbengalmum Sat 21-Nov-15 16:19:35

We have had bengals for twnty years now, and due to past bullying situations my current and future cats will not go out. There is also a big issue with theft. I have never known them to aggravate chickens though,just other cats. And yes they dont mind a bit if water, maybe a bucket of water though would do the trick!

kylesmybaby Sat 21-Nov-15 16:21:57

I have exactly same problem. Our neighbours Bengal is out from 7 till 7 everyday. If he's been out all night and can't get in the block before they go to work they just leave him out all day unfed and cold. They have another cat as well who literally lives in my house where he's fed, watered and loved. The Bengal has taken to going in people cat flaps. I have two small girls who are petrified to go out now as he terrorises them. They can't fight him back. Makes me so angry.

potap123 Sat 21-Nov-15 22:17:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 21-Nov-15 22:28:18

we have issues with Timmy....he is a big bruiser of a ginger thing and is after our garden as an add on to his territory, but Reuben is having none of it....and got good going over for his trouble the other day. Poor idiotcat.

Anyway, our solution is to let the dog sort it out, one of them is MOST indignant if he hears a cat fight and will go barging out to break it up and see off the intruder so we tend to have to remind Timmy of his rights a couple of times a year....he may go through the garden, but no loitering or fighting or peeing!

I try not to get too het up about it, because my first two cats were terrible thugs so I see both sides.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now