Talk

Advanced search

Can a cat fake a injury?

(6 Posts)
Doughnutsandflapjacks33 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:50:19

Almost 2 weeks ago my cat developed a limp,mint was whilst I had a guest staying ( a very rare event ), I took the cat to the vets but when we got to the vets the limp was gone, vet gave the cat anti inflammatorys, in order to get the medicine into him I bought some wet cat food instead of his normal dry, obviously he was very chuffed with the wet food and now turns his nose up at the dry. So over a week later and his limp comes and goes, the past 2 days he seems to be worse, hardly weight bearing on his paw, so I take him back to the vet, yet again the limp has vanished and vet can not find anything wrong.

So is he faking it? Maybe in order to get better food? More attention as he may have felt left out having a guest in the house for a few days?

I am puzzled hmm and so is the vet.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 19-Nov-15 21:16:55

Sort of yes, but it can also be them hiding the limp infront of strangers to keep up appearances.

I've taken ours to the vets, she stayed late to see him, as he was in distress, could not weight-bear on his back legs and was crying in pain.

He walked normally in the surgery and even stood on his hind legs to investigate the table <dies>.

She gave him painkillers etc.

When I got him home he was unable to weight-bear again and yelping in pain when touched.

Next morning he came belting out of our room when dh was coming out of the dressing room and as soon as he saw him started to limp again.

caroldecker Thu 19-Nov-15 21:26:11

I would guess more covering up in front of danger so not to appear vulnerable.

DimlowChips Thu 19-Nov-15 21:31:35

Yes they can act up on purpose. Ours had DH convinced she couldn't jump on the sofa or get up the stairs after having her bits done.... I, however, didn't make any fuss so saw her running up and down the stairs and even climbing the bloody curtains when he wasn't around.

Doughnutsandflapjacks33 Thu 19-Nov-15 21:42:12

The vet has asked me to video him.

He has just come in, limped, I stroked him and then he ran across the floor as if nothing was wrong.

PolterGoose Thu 19-Nov-15 22:25:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now