Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop cats scratching the carpet

(8 Posts)
Kazzawazzawo0 Thu 19-Nov-15 03:46:08

Just that really - I'm moving to a rental property in four weeks with my daughter and cats and I'm wondering if there's any way I can stop them scratching the carpets. They've scratched in my current house and ruined them, mainly on the stairs.

Is there something I can spray on the carpet to stop them?

LittleFeileFooFoo Thu 19-Nov-15 03:59:19

Cats seem to hate citrus, so maybe a spritz of orange peel? Not that i have this problem. My dogs chew on my carpet, they just grab it with their teeth and pull it up. The cats scratch the doorways.

timeforabrewnow Thu 19-Nov-15 05:53:24

Direct them to the nearest scratching post?

usual Thu 19-Nov-15 06:04:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kinkytoes Thu 19-Nov-15 06:08:52

Put a rug down somewhere and encourage them to use that instead. You'll still have to stop them if they try it on the actual carpet but it should help.

mumchkin Thu 19-Nov-15 06:09:11

Get the really heavy duty double sided tape from B&Q and put it anywhere you don't want them to scratch (ie - stair carpet). They hate stickiness on their paws. Once you've broken the habit, remove the tape (maybe after a few weeks). Also supply alternatives - if they like carpet scratching, get them a horizontal scratcher too - scratching is really important to cats so you can't eradicate it entirely, but you can redirect it.

PolterGoose Thu 19-Nov-15 08:42:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kazzawazzawo0 Thu 19-Nov-15 12:15:25

Thanks for the advice. They have a scratching post and activity tree, but it doesn't stop them scratching the carpet.

I'll get the cardboard scratching mats and also try some sort of citrus scent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now