Talk

Advanced search

Talk me out of this kitten, please!

(2 Posts)
CakeRage Mon 16-Nov-15 10:23:18

We recently adopted a retired breeding cat - she's 5 and so lovely, and has fitted perfectly into our lives.

We wanted another adult cat to keep her company, cause we work fairly long hours at least 4 days a week, but the breeder has contacted me to say that one of her kittens has become available, if we're still looking. And he is BEAUTIFUL, but we didn't want a young kitten, cause of them having to be left, and also cause DH is concerned that a baby would wreck the house and be a lot of work.

What would you do? Is it even a good idea to have mother/son pairings? I'm sure I read that mother animals often reject their young when they get to flying the nest age. Any experiences here?

QueenStromba Tue 17-Nov-15 11:10:04

Rescues often home kittens in pairs and one with the mother - whether she'd recognise the kitten as hers at this point is another question though.

We got one of our cats as a 12 week old kitten last year and he was no trouble at all. He had one 'accident' which was weeing on a newspaper that we left lying about when he'd only just moved on from using it as litter. We kept him in a pen when we couldn't supervise him and he quickly learned that he's not allowed to chew/play with cables. He was much less work than our elderly cat really. Do you have anyone that could pop in and feed him/play with him in the middle of the day while he's little?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now