Talk

Advanced search

Urgent allergic boyfriend

(17 Posts)
SoySauceAddict Sun 15-Nov-15 21:21:13

I have a beautiful rescued boy. Found in a sealed box in a ditch. I adore him and vice versa. He was a kitten when found, sleeps with me and so on.

He's been here over a year and puts up with vigorous cuddles from ASD Ds without complaint and is generally spoilt rotten. He's black and short haired... Neutered, flead, wormed etc.

DP ia allergic to cats. He sneezes and blocks up within a short period of being here... I feel awful. I change the bedding beforehand and shut the bedroom door at night. Can I do anything else? The cat isn't going anywhere...

flanjabelle Sun 15-Nov-15 21:23:25

He needs to take antihystamines. they should help a great deal.

SoySauceAddict Sun 15-Nov-15 21:28:25

Any particular ones? I sent him to the chemist yesterday but we didn't notice any discernable difference. Maybe they take a while to work?

potap123 Sun 15-Nov-15 21:32:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oxfordblue Sun 15-Nov-15 21:32:52

Piriton should work fine. That's what friends have used at my house with fluffy long hair cat.

Also give everywhere a good Hoover & dust before BF comes over.,

MrsMolesworth Sun 15-Nov-15 21:35:32

You need petal Cleanse pet allergy lotion. You wipe it on the cat and it stops the... actually I've no idea quite what it stops, but it does stop the allergic reaction. It worked so well for one friend that her allergy went away even around untreated cats. You can buy it from Amazon. meantime, antihistamines like Piriton or Boots own brand help.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 15-Nov-15 21:37:54

make sure you get the non drowsy anti-histamine, go for boots own, go for loratidine. That works well for my boss - my boss is a vet!

potap123 Sun 15-Nov-15 21:38:23

SoySauceAddict Sun 15-Nov-15 21:38:56

I've tried raw...he won't even eat raw steak. Biscuits and wet food occasionally. No carpets here whatsoever. I really didn't think he was that bad allergy risk wise.

Will buy piriton and hoover extensively shock

SoySauceAddict Sun 15-Nov-15 21:40:47

Ohhh brilliant MrsMole!! Will buy! He's fine with being sprayed with conditioning stuff so should work along with piriton.

SoySauceAddict Sun 15-Nov-15 21:42:33

Thanks everyone, a few things to try. He's currently splayed along side me as per usual. I love it though.

PolterGoose Sun 15-Nov-15 22:06:21

potap123 Sun 15-Nov-15 22:27:45

SoySauceAddict Mon 16-Nov-15 16:20:02

I've instructed him with regards to antihistamines regularly and hopefully getting used to my cat... Have spray and wipes ordered... I'll try perseverance with raw, I was dumbfounded when he stuck his nose up at bloody expensive steak! Who says romance is dead? grin

isseywithcats Tue 17-Nov-15 17:08:38

the reason your boyfriend is reacting to the cat is because some cats have an enzyme in their saliva that reactive people react to, and cats lick themselves clean so you need to minimise the saliva covered fur in the atmosphere as people have said petal cat wipes, hoover and dust often and definitely not allow cats in the bedrooms

sashh Tue 17-Nov-15 17:24:21

I'll try perseverance with raw, I was dumbfounded when he stuck his nose up at bloody expensive steak! Who says romance is dead?

Boyfriend or cat?

It is possible to have desensitising therapy, but not on the NHS. (I know of 2 vets with cat allergies - one had the therapy)

DimlowChips Wed 18-Nov-15 20:53:24

Sorry, no useful advice. I just wanted to say how amazing it is that I haven't seen one single LTB comment! Mumsnet is slipping grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now