Talk

Advanced search

New rescue cat - diarrhoea

(12 Posts)
Merrybertie Sat 14-Nov-15 08:46:02

Having had my lovely Maisy put to sleep last month it has felt empty and horrible without a cat who is happy to be stroked and cuddled. I spent the last week visiting lots of shelters and rescue centres and spoke to lots of people. One brilliant centre recommended our amazing new cat, Beattie. She is so affectionate, so likes people. She was found as s astray and needing an emergency hysterectomy because of a womb infection. We think she's somewhere between 1 and 3. She's completely beautiful and we're so, so pleased she's here.

The slight problem is she's been at home with us since Thursday lunchtime and since then has had 3 v runny, noisy poos. She is bright, drinking water, inquisitive, eating only the same food as she was eating at the rescue centre (apart from a small bit of cold roasted chicken I gave her last night because it's bland). We have another cat who is not best pleased at the new arrival and so there has been some hissing and spitting but nothing beyond that. We have two kids who are good with cats and know how to behave around them.

I think it's probably the stress of being here and everything being new. She's drinking well and is exploring everywhere. The question is, is this normal? Should I take her to a vets today? Monday? I remember Maisy and her sister had the same problem when I first brought them home from the RSPCA but it's 16 years ago and my memory's not that clear.

Merrybertie Sat 14-Nov-15 09:23:51

Bump....am having a right old worry (meanwhile she's exploring the house and chasing her new toy)

peckforton Sat 14-Nov-15 11:40:44

I would leave her to settle in for a few days and see what happens.

Merrybertie Sat 14-Nov-15 12:09:32

I think that's good advice really. Just keep a sort of watchful eye. She's a complete delight and I'd forgotten how into everything young cats can be!

Seawig Sat 14-Nov-15 13:27:00

I imagine it is just settling in upset. If she seems happy exploring and has access to water I would wait and see if it resolves itself.

All sounds very positive, hope you enjoy watching her thrive in her new space.

bertsdinner Sat 14-Nov-15 22:16:36

Could just be a bit of stress. I've recently got another cat, 2 year old male, after my old cat died in August, and he had the runs for a couple of weeks, on and off.

Merrybertie Sun 15-Nov-15 09:12:07

I think it is stress (fingers crossed). My life is that exciting that when she did a more normal poo this morning I did a celebratory dance.

crazycatguy Sun 15-Nov-15 21:46:14

I'm having same issue with a cat I foster atm. Cat food, which as a stray she has probably never eaten, gave her diarrhoea. After three days on a bland diet she's still emitting insanely smelly liquid. Don't know if she's ill or stressed but she's off to the vet next week to be sure!

Merrybertie Thu 19-Nov-15 18:12:21

So lovely new cat is very happy in her new home. She's playful, energetic and affectionate BUT she's nicking our other cat's food and has still got diarrhoea.... But seems fine...could it still be settling in stress?? Crazycatguy what did the vet say about your foster cat? Don't want to stress out lovely new cat by taking her to the vet and I suspect they'll just say give it some time...just still worrying

crazycatguy Fri 20-Nov-15 22:58:07

Vet suggested stress too and put the drippy one on a diet of plain chicken. This made her constipated and the other cat runny! Both back on cat food and seem OK; one was living in the wild so probably hasn't had cat food before!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 24-Nov-15 22:57:35

One of ours had diarrhea for months after we took her on (she had been scavenging before). On Vet's advice we gave her half a sachet of pro kolin enterogenic every day. After a few months we were able to reduce it to every other day. Now a year on she only needs it very occasionally (once a month or less). It is a probiotic. Hopefully your cat is better already.

BoxofSnails Wed 25-Nov-15 11:14:32

One of our had diarrhoea - after a few weeks I bought some of that 'sensitive' Purine food and it seems to have settled. Might of course just be coincidence. Hope your cat settles - it took weeks rather than days here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now