Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Missing cat

(12 Posts)
fenneltea Thu 12-Nov-15 08:40:53

Well after the drama of taking in a stray cat, one of my other cats has disappeared. I'm devastated.

She was last seen on Monday morning and I've just been leafleting the neighbours asking them to check garages and sheds.

I'm hoping she'll turn up soon, but the not sleeping and constant worry is awful. sad

chemenger Thu 12-Nov-15 10:36:17

I hope she comes back, it is awful not knowing. I was recommended to put a used litter tray outside the back door in case the cat was lost - it gives a strong scent to follow. Another good tip was to ask your postman to watch out for her. I have had a cat come back after a week, she walked into the house on New Year's day smelling of coal and thinner but otherwise fine, we assume she had been shut in someone's coal shed. Best New Year ever.

Pipestheghost Thu 12-Nov-15 12:43:06

Fingers crossed your cat returns soon, it's such a horrible feeling not knowing. Here's hoping for a happy ending.

fenneltea Thu 12-Nov-15 13:57:19

Well the leaflets have worked, the little madam has appeared hungry, covered in cobwebs and begging to be let out again. She's on lockdown for now, so I might finally be able to sleep tonight.

Whoever said pets are therapeutic needs to offset that with the stress it causes when they disappear!

I wish she would be a housecat. Only cat people understand what losing one is like

skyeskyeskye Thu 12-Nov-15 14:00:32

Im glad she's back. Mine went missing 3 weeks ago sad

fenneltea Thu 12-Nov-15 14:22:43

On Skye, how terrible for you, I can't imagine how I'd cope after three weeks, and I suppose there comes a point where you've got to move on for your own sanity . I have heard of cats returning after months and even years later, so there is still hope for yours, I hope you have some good news to share soon,the not knowing is so hard isn't it? flowers

thecatneuterer Thu 12-Nov-15 14:53:59

What a huge relief fennel. So sorry Skye - I hope you have some good news soon.

Pipestheghost Thu 12-Nov-15 15:20:38

I'm so glad she's returned safe and sound.
I know what it feels like, one of mine was hit by a car and killed recently, absolutely devastated sad

skyeskyeskye Mon 16-Nov-15 13:38:46

Still no sign/ People keep telling me stories of how their cat turned up 4/5 weeks later etc, but in my previous experience no missing cat has never been seen again.

It's my DD that it has hit the hardest. She hasn't seen her dad since June and she was pouring all her affection into the cat, who we got last year. She thinks that it is off having a good time somewhere, or got lost sad

He was so affectionate and loving too. it is hearbreaking.

Everyone says just go out and get another, but what if it happened again? I had cats there from 2006 to 2012 without any problems, but I couldnt go through this again, now that DD is old enough to understand. sad

fenneltea Mon 16-Nov-15 13:53:24

It is incredibly hard Skye, I tried keeping mine in, but she is so determined to be out that it's practically impossible.

Just a thought but many years ago when we got our first cat there was a cat at the centre that had to be kept indoors as it was totally deaf, it was the most beautiful fluffy white kitten. Perhaps something like that might help your daughter and providing the house is secure you can stop worrying about it being out.

Was your boy mirochipped? I would still hold out hope that he will return, the vet nurse was telling me he hers went missing for six weeks and was returned through his microchip. My heart aches for you though.

DianeW7890 Thu 19-Nov-15 13:48:42

My cat has been missing a week now and I am in bits. She means the world to me. We have put flyers through doors, posters on lamposts, told vets, posters in shop windows, dog walkers etc. We go out twice a day calling her. Loads of people say cats have come back in a week, 2 weeks, several months etc etc. Went missing during the night so could have felt braver and then got spooked or something. The onlly good thing in a way is that she has a tiny appetite and that she is used to the outdoors. At this stage she must have lost her way. But surely she would come out of hiding when she is hungry? All you can do is wait but I feel so useless and upset.

skyeskyeskye Thu 19-Nov-15 14:01:08

fen yes the cat is microchipped and i rang to check that it is correctly registered. The only odd thing is that it is male with a boys name (to keep DD happy who wanted a girl cat!), but that is all clearly registered.

Still no sign and now 4 weeks ago sad

Diane it is so hard isn't it. I have lost hope because I can't allow myself to carry on hoping. My poor DD though is very upset about the cat going, and it has also opened up the floodgates about her dad going, as she has nobody to "talk to" now. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now