Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sore Eye - when to go to the vets

(6 Posts)
JennaRoss Wed 11-Nov-15 18:38:42

Our newly adopted cats were having a play fight yesterday and now one of them has a red eye - it was a bit gunky and he is not fully opening it.

I really don't want to stress them both out by taking one off in a pet carrier to the vets unnecessarily as they have only been with us a few days after a year in the shelter.

Any advice? He's not rubbing it, is otherwise fine in himself - scampering round, eating and drinking normally etc

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 11-Nov-15 19:20:58

I'd go tomorrow, infection can really get going in eyes. They hide pain really well.

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 12-Nov-15 07:50:49

Do it now. I took Z when she was squinting after a wrestle and she had a superficial scratch on one eye that healed up fine with drops, but they said if you leave it it can become an ulcer.

cozietoesie Thu 12-Nov-15 08:19:22

I'd vet directly. Eyes can go nasty real quickly.

JennaRoss Thu 12-Nov-15 23:45:40

Thanks for everyone's advice, the vet has said there is no scratch to the eye so she thinks its conjunctivitis, so 5 days of eye drops. Getting them in will be interesting.

iloveeverykindofcat Fri 13-Nov-15 18:42:38

You'll get it smile. My girl is quite highly strung but we had it down after a couple of days. Tip her head back, gently pull the top eyelid back, and drop from above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now