Talk

Advanced search

Multiple cat household: food?

(14 Posts)
whatsinthename Wed 11-Nov-15 13:08:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emwithme Wed 11-Nov-15 13:27:02

We have our two (4 month old kittens) on RC kitten and whiskas pouches so I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing. Good quality dry to make up the bulk of the food, supplementing with a reasonable quality wet.

Is there somewhere you can feed the old cat separately, and give them a better quality wet (something like Applaws maybe?). We get our food from Zooplus which works out far cheaper than getting it in smaller bags, and it gets brought to the house so we don't have to carry it from the car (which is handy as I'm disabled)

Molecule Wed 11-Nov-15 13:51:01

My three farm cats love Costco dry food, much prefer it to any other (which they get if we run out). It costs around £15 for a large bag, and whilst I don't know how it compares quality wise they all look fat and sleek. I don't feed wet food as it became too expensive, especially as they only wanted to eat wet and would ignore the dry (they are very skilled at doing the "we've not been fed" routine and would be fed my multiple people).

NameChange30 Wed 11-Nov-15 13:53:19

Why did you take on 4 more cats if you can't afford to feed them? Did one of your existing cats have a litter of kittens?

whatsinthename Wed 11-Nov-15 16:23:37

whatsinthename Wed 11-Nov-15 16:33:07

hollinhurst84 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:20:11

I feed a mix of raw and applaws pate
Struck lucky in the supermarket reduced section with 1kg turkey mince for £1.99 and chicken wings so happy cat! Heart is cheap too, I buy that chopped and he adores it

Tiptops Wed 11-Nov-15 21:45:44

Please avoid dry food if you can. It isn't good for cats as they just don't have the thirst drive to compensate for it. Any savings made in food bills are likely to be lost in vet bills. I almost lost one of my cats to a blockage due to eating dry food.

Cans are more economical than pouches, butchers classic tins are decent quality and affordable (regularly on offer for £10 for 24 tins in pets at home).

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're struggling with food bills do you have pet insurance for vet bills? Either insurance or savings are essential in a multicat household. I have a lot of cats, 3 of them became seriously ill within a 3-4 month period and the vet bills almost ran into five figures. One of those was cancer treatment costing circa £5.5k, in the end my cat didn't need chemo as well but that would have been an extra £5k. If you have multiple pets, the finances really need to be nailed down.

whatsinthename Wed 11-Nov-15 23:35:01

whatsinthename Wed 11-Nov-15 23:43:50

whatsinthename Wed 11-Nov-15 23:46:46

NameChange30 Thu 12-Nov-15 09:12:35

That wasn't actually my question.

thecatneuterer Thu 12-Nov-15 14:55:47

I feed my very multiple cats Butchers Classic. It's cereal-free, cheap and cats seem to like it.

peckforton Thu 12-Nov-15 22:57:33

Unfortunately letting cats breed as they please leads to all sorts of problems, as well as being irresponsible. You will end up with so many cats with so many problems that feeding them will be the least of your problems

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: