Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Older cat suddenly wanting cuddles ALL THE TIME.

(23 Posts)

My older boy cat I've had just about a year (I was told he was 7 when I adopted him from a friend of a friend who was going to put him in a shelter, but vet says he's more likely closer to 10) has in the last week or so become very clingy. I thought maybe he's cold but he wasn't this clingy this time last year, although he's always loved affection. Now though he wants to be in my lap constantly and if I stand up to make a cup of tea he waits for me to sit down again or stretches up on my leg to remind me he's there waiting for cuddles. He's in my lap right now! <trying to type over cat>

Should I be worried?

He's otherwise eating/drinking/toileting as normal.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 11-Nov-15 11:27:03

i had a cat who did this. she liked attention anyway. But she suddenly started following me everywhere and wanting picking up and cuddling. even spent hours with dd1.

a few days later she fell over and we had to have her PTS sad

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 11-Nov-15 11:33:02

Tbh he sounds like OldBoy. OldBoy is very ancient and has been like this since I moved house about 4 years ago. He is on my lap atm!

TPel Wed 11-Nov-15 11:36:22

I'm a dog person, not experienced with cats, but I would say he feels at home with you now and very secure. You have given him safety and he has relaxed. Yay!

Oh no Giles! Maybe I should get him checked. He's cleaning himself right now (on my lap!)...so that's good right?

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 11-Nov-15 11:40:29

it could of course be nothing. I'm sorry if I scared you.

changes of behaviour can be for all sorts of reasons.

if it's been a while since his last health check it wouldn't hurt to get him.the once over.

That's reassuring, Milk.

Tpel I did wonder if the difference is because last year he was still new to us, or we were to him, rather, and now it's colder he just feels more comfortable being near me this year. I hope!

He still goes out and has a wander a few times a day but doesn't stay out all hours like he did in the summer. That's normal too, right?

SilverBirchWithout Wed 11-Nov-15 11:45:28

Our cat, who is 13 is definitely more cuddly when the weather gets cooler. Unless you have any other concerns there is no need to worry.

In my experience cats tend to actually be less affectionate when they are unwell, preferring to huddle up quietly somewhere.

blueemerald Wed 11-Nov-15 11:46:36

It could just be that this is his first "settled" autumn/winter with you. Growing up our cats would always be around the house more in the cold weather either for cuddles or to complain about the rain.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 11-Nov-15 11:53:24

OldBoy hasn't been further than the doorstep since Saturday. He doesn't need to, spoilt little sod!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 11-Nov-15 11:55:11

Bleugh, posted too soon -

My friend's much younger cat goes out for no more than 20 minutes atm.

hufflebottom Wed 11-Nov-15 11:56:23

Dm's cat is the feline version of a grumpy old man. And won't come near people usually.

As it gets colder he won't go out unless it's to use the neighbours garden as a litter tray. So yours could be deciding it's too cold out and your lap is lovely a warm.

If it's eating/washing etc fine then don't worry. He's probably being the teenage boy equivalent but in cat form.

Sunnyminimalist2 Wed 11-Nov-15 11:56:33

Mine was cuddly then went cuddlier. Turned out eating was a problem (mouth issues) and he was hungry.

AspieUnicorn Wed 11-Nov-15 11:59:15

My cat has suddenly become lap oriented after I took her to get spayed last week. She usually follows us all everywhere but didn't sit on laps and now she does.

Yeah he seems to be eating just fine, definitely more plump than lean hmm grin and eats his combo dry and wet as usual. I've just gone up to do some dishes and expected him to follow and wait, but actually he's moved on to the bed and stayed there, so of course he has to show me up on MN and tell you all "she's crazy, y'all, I'm acting totally normal!" grin

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 11-Nov-15 12:11:00

our old girl (19) does this when she is cold.

Thanks, everyone. I think it's probably the cold then as I'm really not seeing anything else to worry about. I'll leave it a few days and if he seems funny in any other way I'll make an appt to get him checked over.

timtam23 Wed 11-Nov-15 22:04:52

Mine is a very outdoorsy cat but since the weather turned damper & cooler he has been snoozing or climbing into laps all the time. He still goes out but for short periods only, just a quick patrol of the territory smile

Sunnyminimalist2 Wed 11-Nov-15 22:09:57

Have you checked his teeth/gums?

Qwebec Thu 12-Nov-15 03:25:35

Mine also became more cuddly in the last few days. She rubbed her paws under my knees to make me understand that she wanted that I make a tent with my legs and a sheet so she can nap ''in'' it. Today she cuddled on my chest like a baby. She becomes like this when the weather gets colder or when I am out a lot.

Celen Fri 13-Nov-15 19:14:20

Could you be pregnant? wink

In all seriousness, some people are certain that animals can detect hormone changes and my girlcat tried to snog me both times I fell pregnant this last year (although I lost both but that's by the by).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now