Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a cat with only 3 legs? Advice needed

(8 Posts)
Slowprogress Sat 07-Nov-15 14:05:16

So my lovely little cat either has to have an operation for a fracture in a joint or have the front leg amputated sad

I just wanted to know if others have got a cat with only 3 legs?

If so how did your cat cope straight after having the leg taken off? Did the cat recover well?

After the initial recovery can the cat get around well and jump onto the sofa etc?

My cat is like my baby and my little girl calls her a sister, and I am just trying to get as much information as I can about having a 3 legged cat

Wolfiefan Sat 07-Nov-15 14:07:59

I have no direct experience but I have heard they recover well. flowers
I would watch weight to avoid stress on remaining leg.
What age is your cat?

Verypissedoffwife Sat 07-Nov-15 14:14:54

I haven't but my ex husband does. I don't know how long the recovery time was but she copes very well - in fact just as well as a 4 legged cat. It's also a front leg that had to be amputated.

I did google this a bit as we had a scare that my older cat may need to have his removed (fortunately he recovered) and one thing I remember was that they recover much quicker if they're a healthy weight. My cat is very very big so we tried to get some weight off him.

Mincepies76 Sat 07-Nov-15 22:22:20

Hope this works! Someone posted a few weeks ago.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/2494310-My-cat-has-had-his-leg-amputated-any-advice-on-how-to-help-him-once-he-gets-home

Oldraver Sun 08-Nov-15 10:42:05

My folks have a rescue cat with 3 legs and one ear. They were told he may have arthritis later in life and he is slowing down now. He must be around 10. they have had him for seven years.

He seems to manage just fine and its hard to tell only has three legs. Whe they lived in a house he was always climbing up trees and the wall so nothing stopped him

spydie Mon 09-Nov-15 07:29:17

Aww they do adapt remarkably well! We had a cat from a friends farm; we think she was either hit by something or trampled by the cows and alongside terrible internal injuries, had a very badly damaged front leg.

Vet didn't amputate the leg but she couldn't use it other than as a useless stump (it was permanently bent at the 'knee' and didn't touch the ground) but within days of her coming to us to recuperate after her surgery she was zooming around! She stayed with us in the end as she seemingly preferred the pampered pet existence and lived to 21 with no health problems at all (in fact we found her one morning curled in her bed next to the radiator, passed away in her sleep). She would still hunt, climb, do everything as normal but just in a truly bizarre fashion!

icelollycraving Fri 27-Nov-15 00:08:00

I had a wonderful cat who was hit by a car. The vet tried to save the leg & it was pinned,reset,put in a plaster cast & he was confined. It sent him a bit over the edge to be honest,when we opened the cage he made a run for it severely damaging the leg,beyond repair.
Once the leg was amputated he was much happier & recovery worked well. It was a back leg. I made a little ramp for him to climb from outside onto the window ledge as he found that difficult.

redbinneo Fri 27-Nov-15 00:19:19

Our cat tripod (previously known as Fangs) managed very well. She would meow vet pitifully to strangers in order to get strokes etc, and then come indoors to give us a good nagging. The accident happened when she was three, she died of heart failure at 13.
After the amputation she tried to eat herself into growing a new leg. Then she got on with life.
Your cat will be OK, enjoy her life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now