Talk

Advanced search

how long to wait to let rescue cat out?

(9 Posts)
UseHerName Sat 07-Nov-15 09:35:00

we've had him about 5 weeks and he obviously wants out - is it too early yet?

he's going beserk too at the other cats in the garden

I would try just to let him out to the back garden for a bit, let him sniff and if possible lure him in again with dreamies...

rinse and repeat

PolterGoose Sat 07-Nov-15 09:40:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thecatneuterer Sat 07-Nov-15 09:43:35

I would say he's ready. However not today. There will be a lot of fireworks this evening and if he hasn't come back in by then that could be a problem.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Nov-15 09:44:25

I think, myself, that 5 weeks is not at all too early - and the weather is on your side if you're in the UK. (I would personally load the dice and have a fire going inside/the heating on/chicken cooking all those sorts of good things - and also go out with him for the first time at least.) Still nerve-racking though.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Nov-15 09:45:02

Ah - the fireworks are a good point.

UseHerName Sat 07-Nov-15 09:54:39

ah fireworks, although we're in Northern Ireland and our fireworks are on halloween - we don't generally do guy fawkes here...

will wait till next week though, or wait until during the day

UseHerName Sat 07-Nov-15 09:55:38

btw he's 9 in case that matterS?

cozietoesie Sat 07-Nov-15 10:04:30

Not sure that his age matters as much as his history before you. Do you know if he was an outside-going cat in the past?

(And I would also start to shoo away other cats in the garden if he's showing signs of being a potential scrapper. Is he insured?)

putcustardonit Sat 07-Nov-15 10:07:59

We let ours out for an hour before dinner for a week. We may have wandered round the garden fussing over her. She was very much a going out cat before she came to us but the lure of the fire is too great in the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now