Talk

Advanced search

a cat has camped out on our doorstep; what next?

(147 Posts)
Gatekeeper Fri 06-Nov-15 09:06:10

we already feed a stray cat- she lives in our shed and has done for the last three years. (trapped and neutered). Another stray was very kindly adopted by a MNetter's (fenneltea) mam

However a week ago a ginger and white tom sat on our doormat at the back and hasn't shifted since. He is very clean and friendly but won't go away, clawing and meowing at the back door and desperately tries to push his way in when we go out. We put a bowl of food out and he hoovered it up licking the plate around on the patio. He pats on the glass door with his paw

He's been done and doesn't spray and has a nick taken out of one of his ears

Most importantly he appears to be the first cat that dh doesn't come out with hives with or itchy, sneezing , watery eyes etc

he is currently asleep on my chair grin

what can we do next?

Gatekeeper Fri 06-Nov-15 09:07:55

despite the fireworks yesterday he didn't budge from outside the back door...was there at 11.30, still there at 1.30 am (I couldn't sleep) and still there when dh got up at 4am. He's done this for the past week sad

sashh Fri 06-Nov-15 09:28:21

You have been adopted.

Is the nick out of his ear a nick or is the tip missing? Some neuter and release programmes cut the tip of the ear of strays.

Ok what is his name? And where are the pics?

Gatekeeper Fri 06-Nov-15 09:39:41

it's a nick...like a slice of pie

he is purring non stop and chirruping. He was sitting on the book I was reading when we were thinking names so we have named him 'Sherlock'

thecatneuterer Fri 06-Nov-15 09:59:16

It looks like an eartip. As Sashh said rescues cut the top of the ear (it should be the left ear, but some do the right) to show that a cat has been neutered before being returned to a colony.

It is unusual to do on a very friendly cat, as they are the sort you don't really need to return to the streets as they can get homes. But it could have been done by an organisation with no homing facility.

He is now yourssmile

sashh Fri 06-Nov-15 10:09:08

Sherlock, welcome to the litter tray. We look forward to reading about your adventures.

CurrerBell Fri 06-Nov-15 10:09:35

Oh he's adorable! What a great name as well. We have a ginger boy rescue cat who chose us as well. smile

Just in case he isn't a stray, could you check whether he's been chipped?

thecatneuterer Fri 06-Nov-15 10:12:35

If you can post a close up of the ear I should be able to say for sure.

Toughasoldboots Fri 06-Nov-15 10:12:37

Well hasn't he made himself at home?

PolterGoose Fri 06-Nov-15 10:13:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 06-Nov-15 10:14:30

Are you sure he's a stray? I have a cat that "lives" in my front garden. In my cat's unwanted outdoor box. She is clean, friendly and lives down the road with a lovely owner. Doesn't stop her acting all dramatic like she's a poor stray with no home to go to whenever I open the front door.

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 06-Nov-15 10:14:57

I know if I fed her and let her in, she would never leave either.

BagelSuffragette Fri 06-Nov-15 10:16:38

Are you sure he's not owned by someone else?

Surely you need to check that before you can "adopt" him? His owner may be worried sick about him being away from home, especially with the fireworks recently

Maddaddam Fri 06-Nov-15 10:18:16

We got adopted by a cat that was supposed to live down the road. For 4 months she mewed outside our kitchen window, and her owners took her home daily but she wouldn't stay, just came straight back. We didn't feed her but our dds did when we weren't watching. Eventually we all gave up and formally adopted her.
Though we already had 2 cats and didn't want another, and her owners did want her. But she was absolutely determined.

thecatneuterer Fri 06-Nov-15 10:20:45

Yes to be sure I would get him scanned for a chip and if no chip you could put a paper collar on him (from your vet) with a message.

Palomb Fri 06-Nov-15 10:21:18

One of my neighbours has a cat with a ear snip. I don't know how she came to own it but it very definitely isn't a stray.

You need to get Sherlock to the vets to be scanned. He might be loved but lost.

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 06-Nov-15 10:22:40

Ha maddaddam that's like our front garden cat. She has being waging this campaign to live in our house for a few months now. Utter determination. However my cat Does. Not. Like. Other. Cats. so she will have to give up eventually.

Micah Fri 06-Nov-15 10:23:52

I'd at least take him to the vets and scanned, and put a few posters up, and notify local lost and found pages.

If no one comes forward, you can keep him smile

Gatekeeper Fri 06-Nov-15 10:39:46

I've contacted the local vet to see if I can bring him along to be chip checked and I'm putting up info on the local facebook lost and found page etc.

Hope no one claims him ; dh is currently showing him how the dishwasher works

KanyeWesticle Fri 06-Nov-15 10:41:52

He's lovely.

You do need to get him scanned, and health checked, just in case.

My parents'cat (who's been their's from a kitten) has an ear nick just like that. A war wound from fighting. Doesn't mean he's homeless.

thecatneuterer Fri 06-Nov-15 10:42:41

I've someone does try to claim him they must provide photos. If they can't, don't hand him over.

Gatekeeper Fri 06-Nov-15 10:46:36

close of of his ear

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 06-Nov-15 10:52:21

Next doors cat has ears like that from fights. If he isnt chipped please keep him.

It is meant to be.

It's also bloody cold in the winter.

Gatekeeper Fri 06-Nov-15 10:58:37

fingers crossed; it's like he is stuck on the mat as he's only shifted for a wee etc since last Thursday. Just turned up and never went away

thecatneuterer Fri 06-Nov-15 11:01:38

That's not an eartip. That's just the result of a fight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now