Talk

Advanced search

Do you still have a litter tray if your cat goes outside?

(29 Posts)
Shaffron Wed 04-Nov-15 22:01:58

My 6 month old kitten hasn't used her litter tray for weeks. Since she could use the cat flap.

I've not refilled the litter tray since I last emptied and cleaned it (weather has been fairly mild). I suppose I don't want her starting to use it regularly again, although of course if the weather was awful I'd understand!

Just wondered what you all do?

PolterGoose Wed 04-Nov-15 22:06:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

99percentchocolate Wed 04-Nov-15 22:07:30

Yes of course, otherwise she'll just be shitting in our garden or a neighbours garden - a tray is preferable to either of those scenarios.

Kim82 Wed 04-Nov-15 22:07:51

We have one but that's because we don't have a cat flap. If they need to pee during the night I refuse to get up to let them out so the litter tray is there as back up. It's rarely used (I'd say maybe one pee every 2-3 weeks) despite having 3 cats but I won't take it away just in case one gets caught short.

PolterGoose Wed 04-Nov-15 22:08:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moln Wed 04-Nov-15 22:09:21

It's outside now.

He still doesn't blooming use it though.

Pipbin Wed 04-Nov-15 22:09:22

I have one just because my girl has a curfew and, although she prefers to go outside, it's useful to have it there in case of an emergency.

Seawig Wed 04-Nov-15 22:10:28

No thankfully. Huntercat disappears over the fields all day and Feistycat uses the bushes in our garden as cover.

We don't really garden much so it is easy to clear away when we do!

Sparklingbrook Wed 04-Nov-15 22:10:37

Yes, for overnight and if she has decided to stay in if I am out (no catflap).

BrianCoxReborn Wed 04-Nov-15 22:12:07

Yes.

Evil Cat refuses to go out in the rain.

Ginger idiot Beast will happily do his business in the middle of the garden (he often does it next to the dog!!) In any weather, but he has a habit of waking me at silly hours through winter to go out, so I keep the trays but only use them occasionally.

They're out at the moment because of the fireworks, both cats are climbing the walls as has been going on since Friday.

AnyoneButAndre Wed 04-Nov-15 22:14:05

We got rid of our litter tray once the layer of dust on it started to over flow the top. They just wouldn't touch it.

Palomb Wed 04-Nov-15 22:15:16

No. Our house is so small it would have to be in the living room or the kitchen. So no. We have a cat flap that we lock at night. Both cats use the toilet or the plug hole in the bath to we if they need to go overnight. One of them did wake us this morning so dh went and let her out. They are not allowed in our room at night as they are annoying buggers.

Wolfiefan Wed 04-Nov-15 22:15:41

Yes. We have always had a tray. We keep our cats in overnight. Also if they are ill then they need access to one.

Moln Wed 04-Nov-15 22:20:07

I keep mine in overnight and he still won't use it.

A while back I had to take him to the vets for his boosters so didn't let him out in the morning. I brought the tray in and he didn't use up it. Vet commented on how full his bladder was!!

Vinorosso74 Wed 04-Nov-15 22:30:27

We lock the catflap overnight so we have a tray. She does prefer the corner of the garden but uses the tray if needs must.
She does wake us up scratching the litter around..

cozietoesie Wed 04-Nov-15 23:02:30

We had one for The Lodger and the outside-going cat before him. Both preferred a tray - they'd come in from outside to use it - and I've always been quite happy to clean one.

DramaAlpaca Wed 04-Nov-15 23:20:24

I did the same as you OP. When the kittens were about five or six months old and using the cat flap regularly they stopped using their litter tray, so I put it away. It's there in the attic in case it's needed, but I prefer not to have a litter tray in the house. We live rurally and have a big garden so no worries about neighbours.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 23:31:37

Old cat never had one. When he passed away we got a rescue cat so he had one while he was kept in. Just as he stopped using it a kitten turned up. Just as she stopped using it, rescue became very poorly and wasn't able to get in/out of cat flap. He's diabetes and touching wood stable now. He has a wee in it about every other day so was thinking of getting rid of it. 'Kitten' hasn't used it for months.

Archfarchnad Thu 05-Nov-15 14:05:22

We keep a clean one in the house because we keep him inside when it's dark, but he must have incredible control over his bladder because he very seldom uses it - perhaps once a month? I'm pretty sure he only uses an earthy section of our garden under the trampoline, at least none of the neighbours seem to have a problem with cat poo. When we first got him and didn't let him out at all for a few weeks, he did used the tray reliably then, but it's clearly a last-ditch option for him. But I would never get rid of it, just in case.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Thu 05-Nov-15 14:09:34

we have a litter tray still, even though she does 99.9% of her stuff outside in the flower beds
it's there as a backup, in case of really, really horrific weather that she won't go out in, or if she's been scared outside or something.

a previous cat we had took to weeing in the house, and cat wee is just the WORST to clean up. having been through that i'd rather take the boots and braces approach.

Sleepybeanbump Thu 05-Nov-15 14:13:32

We do- when we first got our girls, one of them would come inside expressly to use the tray, and then go back outside again, like a person grin

They mostly go outside now, but sometimes draw the line if the weather does not meeting their exacting requirements.

slicedfinger Thu 05-Nov-15 14:20:38

Yes, we have a flap and a tray. Younger cat comes inside just to use it, and older cat much prefers to do it outside but has arthritis, so sometimes just hobbles to the tray instead.

SparklyTinselTits Thu 05-Nov-15 14:24:54

No we took it away when SparklyCat started going outside...she's a priss anyway and always seemed quite disgusted at the stench of her own poop in a tray! She's pretty much an indoor cat for the most part, she just goes out, does what she needs to do and comes straight back in. Would never bring a tray back in...don't miss cleaning those nasty nose destroyers confused

CurrerBell Fri 06-Nov-15 10:44:43

Our boy hasn't used his tray once since we started letting him out. Feel bad for the neighbours (if he's using their gardens), but not sure what else we can do!

We kept him in for the fireworks last night but he spent the whole time scratching to be let out, and looked at his tray with disdain!

laflaca Fri 06-Nov-15 12:13:10

LaflacaCat has a litter tray for emergencies. He uses it sometimes in the winter, or when we have guests staying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now