Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to Metacam?

(12 Posts)
Corygal Tue 03-Nov-15 21:04:23

I've taken Mr C off this once and for all. He was so ill and weak ast week, limp, like a little fun fur nightdress case emptied out, vomiting spit and barely able to walk, that I couldn't stand it any more & binned it. Also he itched horribly.

What else is there to ease the pain of his leg arthritis? He is much more perky since he's been off it, giving it the giddy goat all over the furniture.

cozietoesie Tue 03-Nov-15 21:51:56

Poor Mr C. sad

The ICC guidance cites four others - at the bottom. Seniorboy is on one of them as a supplemental analgesic. (He's still on his meloxicam which doesn't disagree with him.) It's a very easy administer - just squirted on his mouth soft tissues from the side - which he permits fine even though he's mouth-sensitive.

He also needs quite badly these days to have his heated place (his electric blanket) to rest up his old bones. Has Mr C got a toasty sleeping place?

Maybe Lone or one of the other vets will see this thread and comment. Have you discussed with your own vet at all?

Wolfiefan Tue 03-Nov-15 21:55:47

YY to heated pad.
Our old girl couldn't be on metacam due to stomach issues. The vet put her on tramadol. I'm not sure how normal that is but it really helped.
We also discussed a jab that could help. (Less pain relief IIRC and more to do with making the joint itself a bit better.)

Mothpop Tue 03-Nov-15 22:07:42

Definitely the best thing that you can do is discuss alternative pain relief/treatment options with your vet - you won't be able to get hold of anything without a prescription anyway.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 03-Nov-15 23:21:18

You need to chat to your vet as none of the alternatives are licensed for long term use in cats. Each carries advantages and disadvantages and only knowledge of corycat's full clinical history will determine the best option.
You may also find that your vet may have to get them specially formulated for your cat.

GoneAndDone Tue 03-Nov-15 23:30:58

Have you tried the Yumove supplements? They are not a prescription medicine or anything strong like Metacam but my vet recommended them and they have made a huge difference. I ran out for a week and noticed a negative impact.

Corygal Tue 03-Nov-15 23:45:46

Yes Mr C has a heated box and fur, I tried him on those microwave barley bags as thought safer for claws, but he hated it and threw it on me in the night. Also I am quite warm to kip on.

I am getting a heated pad tomorrow to add to the radiator box.

I will get Yumove, thanks so much.

I bought him a conker from the park and he chased it this evening!

Corygal Tue 03-Nov-15 23:56:50

A Snugglesafe looks good - you nuke it for a bit and it lasts up to 8 hours. Mr C's claws are so effective I think an electric blanket might set the flats aflame (not that they need much help).

Wolfiefan Tue 03-Nov-15 23:57:07

Bless him.
smile

Wolfiefan Tue 03-Nov-15 23:59:23

Um xpost about him being a fire risk blush
We had the whelping pad (aka butt warmer) in her favoured spot. We used to switch it on for a while when she settled there. Never left it on for any length of time.

cozietoesie Wed 04-Nov-15 09:18:23

I'd have a palace rebellion on my hands if I didn't leave the electric blanket on 24/7. (Seniorboy isn't a clawer though, luckily.)

Corygal Wed 04-Nov-15 13:08:04

I am going for the Snugglesafe, the supplements and the Yumove, plus added vettery. Thanks so much everyone, will let you know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: