Advanced search

My 17 year old girl Rice has possible bone cancer

(31 Posts)
QueenStromba Mon 02-Nov-15 17:58:00

We noticed a lump on one of her back paws on Friday morning and took her to the vet on Saturday. He said to wait and see if it got bigger or if she started limping as she's 17 and has kidney problems so didn't want to put her under GA to biopsy. We called him back today as she's limping a bit now and it seems bigger. She's booked in for an X-ray tomorrow morning and surgery. He reckons if it's cartilaginous then he can remove it but if it's attached to the bone then he would have to amputate. We can't wait for biopsy results and then operate as then she'd need two GAs.

She's been showing signs of being a bit unhappy anyway - she's been weeing outside of the litter tray up to three times a week and she hides more than she used to. She does still like a cuddle and a purr though and sleeps between us most nights, her appetite is also really good.

If she has cancer and it has spread beyond that paw then we wouldn't want to give her chemo or radiation. Since both types of feline bone cancer are very malignant if we knew it was that for certain then we would probably have her put to sleep. But it could be benign and if she's had it for a while it could be the reason for her inappropriate urination and hiding if it has been hurting her.

We don't want to prolong her life if she's going to be unhappy and in pain but we don't want to have her put to sleep if she could have a few more happy months or years as a three legged cat.

We've decided to have the vet operate if he can remove the lump without amputating but we can't decide whether to amputate or have her put to sleep if those are the two options. What does everyone think we should do?

timtam23 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:06:16

Sounds like this has all happened very quickly and I think if she were my cat I would like a bit more time with her - even if she had to have an amputation. I guess if the vet thinks she can withstand a GA and possibly an amputation too, and quality of life afterwards would be reasonable, I think I would do that. But if it is cancer, can vet be sure whether it has spread or not?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 02-Nov-15 19:28:09

I dont know, if my vet said it had spread then I would pts but if it was still localised I'd want more time with her.

I'm so sorry, at least she's had a couple of years being loved with you.

QueenStromba Mon 02-Nov-15 21:26:16

Thank you. We've come to the same conclusion, hopefully it's benign or hasn't metastasised yet. I hope we aren't about to put her through that and have her need to be put to sleep in a few weeks anyway.

QueenStromba Tue 03-Nov-15 10:38:09

She's at the vet now. They're giving her a couple of hours of fluids before putting her under.

timtam23 Tue 03-Nov-15 11:28:25

Let us know how things go flowers

QueenStromba Tue 03-Nov-15 12:38:24

Thank you, will do. Not heard anything yet but the vet said that if everything went well he'd let her rest for a bit before calling us so no news is good news.

cozietoesie Tue 03-Nov-15 12:42:54

Fingers crossed for her, QS.

QueenStromba Tue 03-Nov-15 13:04:51

Just got a call. Their X-ray is broken so he would have to just go in and cut the whole toe (not the paw as we thought) off if he was doing it today. He'd rather not do that if he can avoid it because the pain meds would be tricky with her kidneys. Since he's already had her in on fluids for half the day he's going to give her a light sedation and try to get a biopsy the results of which will hopefully be back by Friday week which is the next time we could get her in for the operation.

cozietoesie Tue 03-Nov-15 13:36:45

Poor lass. Let us know the result?

timtam23 Tue 03-Nov-15 14:01:17

Poor girl but hopefully the biopsy result will make your decision clearer. You will be able to make a big fuss of her as well, when you get her home smile

QueenStromba Tue 03-Nov-15 15:41:29

So the lump is some sort of soft tissue but it's coming from underneath the tendons and ligaments so she'd still need to lose a toe or two. Good news is that the closest lymph node feels fine. I guess we'll have to see what the biopsy results are.

QueenStromba Tue 03-Nov-15 15:41:59

And I'm making her some poached chicken for when she gets home.

QueenStromba Thu 12-Nov-15 11:49:55

It's chondrosarcoma which is one of the particularly bad cancers and we're pretty sure we can see it in pictures of her going back as far as April. We're going to go in and have a chat with the vet about it this evening. We won't be able to tell for sure if it has spread as small tumours won't show up on an x-ray. I think DH wants to do an X-ray because at least then we'll know if there are any other big tumours and maybe going ahead with the amputation if not. I'm leaning towards paid meds and spoiling her rotten for however many good days she's got left.

VimFuego101 Thu 12-Nov-15 11:52:43

Sorry flowers

I would feel the same way as you tbh. I'd hate to put any of ours through intensive treatment.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 12-Nov-15 12:15:18

Oh no, I am so sorry. I'd go for palliative care too. Poor girl.

thecatneuterer Thu 12-Nov-15 14:52:39

Oh no, not darling Rice! I'm so, so sorry QS. She was the first cat I read about on The Litter Tray and I've often thought about her.

I also agree with palliative care only.

You have given her a wonderful, loving home for the last years of her life which I'm sure will be a comfort to you in times to come.

You are both in my thoughts.

QueenStromba Thu 12-Nov-15 16:01:49

Thanks everyone. Hopefully DH will agree.

QueenStromba Sat 16-Jan-16 01:00:30

I think it's time. She's been on vetergesic (an opioid) injections since Christmas. We have the injections down to a tee between us but DH is going away for work for a week tomorrow and I can't inject her on my own (I've managed it once but mostly it just distresses her if I try - our trick is to have me cuddle her while DH injects her). The vet gave us some tramadol tablets to give her instead and we tried to give one to her tonight but she just won't eat it no matter what we try to hide it in. She's just started with the weeing again after two months without which I think means that she's in pain even with the drugs. I thought she'd probably be OK until DH got home with the drugs but I really don't want to put her through a week without decent pain relief.

We went out for a few drinks before we realised that she won't take the meds and DH just doesn't want to talk about it and has gone to sleep now. I really hope he agrees with me in the morning. He needs to leave for the airport at about 2.30 and our vet doesn't open until 2 on a Saturday but there's another branch that is open at 9. I'm hoping that they'll be able to get in touch with our vet for us - I don't think DH will agree with putting her to sleep without talking to him and I really don't want to do it without him here even if he has to disappear straight afterwards.

cozietoesie Sat 16-Jan-16 06:57:50

Darling Rice.

Thinking of you all.

timtam23 Sat 16-Jan-16 09:41:43

So sorry to hear the update on Rice. Having gone through similar (palliative care on 18 yr old cat with tongue cancer) I think you would be making a sensible although very difficult decision. Better not to wait for a crisis to intervene (did this with previous old cat and it still upsets me to think about her last day with us). Thoughrs with you and keep us posted flowers

QueenStromba Sat 16-Jan-16 15:13:13

She's gone. Our regular surgery couldn't fit her in before DH had to leave for the airport but the hospital were able to see her. It was very peaceful and the vet was really nice. I miss her so much already.

thecatneuterer Sat 16-Jan-16 15:48:49

Oh I'm so sorry QS. You did the right thing of course. And as I said before she was very lucky to have a second chance at having a loving home for her last few years.

RIP Rice.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 16-Jan-16 17:17:13

I'm so sorry. You gave her a lovely life.

cozietoesie Sat 16-Jan-16 17:39:23

I'm so sorry, QS. She had a really good life with you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: