Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My kitten needs an operation! Is it too late for pet insurance?

(9 Posts)
Slowprogress Sun 01-Nov-15 18:50:47

So my kitten is less than a year old, I came home one day and seen she had blood on her and was limping! She doesn't go out so injured herself at home.

I took her to the vets they gave painkillers and said bring eat back of it doesn't clear up! A week later I took her back, they X-rayed her and advised it was fractured and to keep her in a cage for two weeks which I did. After the two weeks I took her back they advised I should leave her in the cage for another week which I did. I then let her out and she was still limping.

I took her back again they said lets see how she is again in another few weeks! I took her back last week for another X-ray they said it hasn't healed and we have the following options:
1 painkillers for life
2 amputate her leg
3 operation - but it could be very expensive

I think as she is not even 1 yet that the operation is the only option. I have no idea how much it will cost and I don't have much money atall. Is there any chance I could get her pet insurance now and still
Get the operation paid for?

All advice welcome

Ness18 Sun 01-Nov-15 18:53:39

You will be able to get insurance but it won't cover any pre existing conditions. Treatment for the leg will not therefore be covered.

If you have trouble paying for the op, contact PDSA, if you are on (certain) benefits, they may be able to help out.

Hope kitty is week again soon!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 01-Nov-15 19:38:59

Will your vets offer you a payment plan for the operation?
The other thing I would say is cats with three legs get back normal very fast and live normal active lives.
I amputated the leg of a cat on Thursday he came out of surgery at 12.30pm, he was up and walking on his three legs by 5pm, went home Friday morning and will be back outside next week. So don't rule this option out it is a good one.

Ness18 Sun 01-Nov-15 19:41:40

Week = well (of course!)

Slowprogress Sun 01-Nov-15 21:45:27

thank you for the replies, it is with the PDSA and they said they will need to refer us to a different vets as they cannot do the operation.

I feel so bad for my little cat, she really hasn't been herself since she went to the vets as they were manipulating her bad leg an d she is clearly in a lot more pain sad

lonecat - how old was the cat that had its leg amputated? the thought of it makes me want to cry as she is so young sad

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 01-Nov-15 23:01:01

I have amputated legs from a range of cats from 5 months of age to 19 years. All without exception have done well. The 19 year old had another two years. Last weeks cat was three years old, he is insured, but he is a very outdoors cat and his owners felt he wouldn't cope well with the minimum 6 week confinement he would need after the surgery. So it is not always a financial decision.
Neither of my cats would handle confinement so if one of mine had a fracture I would almost certainly amputate.

Slowprogress Sat 07-Nov-15 13:58:03

Lonecat - is it difficult for the cats to adjust after having the leg amputated? How much time would I need off work to look after her?

My cat doesn't go out at the moment, I was planning to let her out after she healed from the injury but If she is having a leg off I was thinking I would have to keep her in as she may not be very strong and able to run away from danger etc!

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Nov-15 16:28:41

The vast majority of three legged cats go outside, climb trees and run fast.

00100001 Sat 07-Nov-15 16:32:52

Our three legged is fine - he's missing his right hind leg smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now