Talk

Advanced search

Advice on what/how to tell the DCs when our cat is PTS

(3 Posts)
artifarti Fri 30-Oct-15 10:48:41

Our cat is 17. He has a chronic stomach condition which we've been managing with steroids, special food etc. for a few months. He's been okay but in the last week has been refusing to eat pretty much anything; even cooked white fish or chicken isn't tempting him now. The vets have said they can't find an infection or other obvious cause so have given him fluids, a steroid injection and Vit B injection and we're going to see if he rallies over the weekend. It's becoming quite obvious that whether it's next week or not, sooner or later we are going to have to have him PTS sad

DS1 is 7, doesn't adore the cat but is quite a sensitive soul. DS2 (3) is less sensitive but loves the cat. Any tips for how to tell them? Do we let them do goodbyes? Or not? I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to do tbh.

cozietoesie Fri 30-Oct-15 11:57:54

Maybe have a look at this leaflet artifarti ? (There are a couple of versions available on the net and you should be able to download and print it.)

You know your children best but there are some useful thoughts and references there. I understand that the telephone support service is also very good although I've not had cause to use it myself.

artifarti Fri 30-Oct-15 15:22:53

Thanks cozie, that's useful smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now