Talk

Advanced search

Spaying

(5 Posts)
Wolfiefan Thu 29-Oct-15 17:25:30

We have two female kittens on house arrest at present! They are booked in to be spayed next month. Two questions:
1) Recovery? The vet recommended trying to prevent them jumping up confused (um have you met kittens!) She said I could shut them in one room but they jump up regardless of what room they are in. Is this a problem given that they will be home the same day as the op? My mum has a large dog crate. Should I ask to borrow it?
2) how long should I wait to let them go out? I am thinking of leaving it until they are a bit bigger (pfb for first ever kittens?!). They do generally come when whistled but they are so small compared to some local cats (there are quite a few). And then there are fireworks and Christmas chaos.
Worrying much?
Any advice appreciated. We have had cats for nearly 20 years but never kittens.

Wolfiefan Thu 29-Oct-15 17:33:15

Long post!

thecatneuterer Thu 29-Oct-15 17:34:46

I've never tried to stop them jumping. I would say that's pretty much an impossible task. I wouldn't worry about it.

Minimum five days before letting them out, but I would certainly wait until well after all the fireworks have stopped.

Wolfiefan Thu 29-Oct-15 20:39:48

Thanks Cat neuterer. Was hoping you'd see this!
Vet seemed to think it was better to start letting them out younger as they wouldn't roam so far but they are a bit lacking in common sense and small.

tabulahrasa Fri 30-Oct-15 11:02:50

I had to put one of mine back in the carrier for a few hours as she was literally running round bouncing off walls, no clue what that was about because when I phoned the vets going shock she'd been fine before I picked her up and after 20 minutes of complaining about being back in the carrier she went to sleep and woke up her normal self, lol. But other than that I didn't restrict mine at all and just let them do what they wanted.

Both of mine I started letting out after winter because I went with them blush I let them follow me into the garden and then called them back for food and just gradually started leaving them out there longer and letting them go a bit further until it had turned into them pretty much going in and out as they wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now