Talk

Advanced search

Feeling Sad

(7 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 29-Oct-15 11:15:54

It was a year ago yesterday that we said goodbye to William. For those who don't know, he was an older stray cat with various health issues who adopted me and then moved in with my DM for the last months of his life.

When I think about him I feel so angry that someone didn't think he was worth looking after. No one is forced to have a pet. I'm also cross at myself for not realising sooner that he was a stray - I'd have done more for him if I'd known. I used to see him about and he was often asleep on a particular doorstep so I assumed he lived there.

I like to think he knew how loved he was in his last months - we fed him for 6 weeks (5 times a day some days!) and then he moved in with DM for exactly five months and one day. She's admitted she didn't want him at first (she'd lost her dog 4 days before) and only took him in because she felt sorry for him and I couldn't. She grew to love him very quickly and put up with his little ways.

I'm sorry that I'm rambling on and I don't expect any replies. It just helps to write it down. William might not have had a great life but I hope he knew he was important and we loved him.

RIP my little friend.

cozietoesie Thu 29-Oct-15 11:33:38

He had a good and loving last few months. Don't feel sad about that.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 29-Oct-15 11:36:30

What a sad but lovely post. You were able to give him a home for those last months and that is a huge big deal x

rainydaygrey Thu 29-Oct-15 11:40:08

He looks lovely OP.

You know, 5 months is a LOT longer in cat years. So it was a much longer time to him than it was to you.

Cats live in the moment. If he was loved at the end, then to him he was always loved flowers

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 29-Oct-15 11:43:45

Thank you - I wasn't expecting any replies, justing posting for therapy! I don't say a lot about him in RL as I'm sure some people will think he wasn't really my cat and he wasn't with me long enough to get upset.

My happiest memory of him is when he was still being fed in my garden. I was off work after an operation and he came into the garden and I was sitting on the path with William on one side and Harry on the other. (DH had to get me up as I got stuck but that's another story!)

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 29-Oct-15 11:54:15

No one here would think that, I am certain.

What a lovely memory to keep flowers

Also, rainy day, that's such a beautiful last sentence

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 29-Oct-15 12:07:19

That's why I feel at home here - no one is ever going to use the awful words 'just a cat'.

Rainy day, your post wasn't there when I replied - I'm going to remember your last sentence, it made me cry but it's lovely flowers

We also have some funny memories of him, my favourite being when I was on the phone to my Mum (on handsfree in the car so there was road noise) and I could hear a strange noise in the background. It turned out William had got himself stuck behind the washing machine and the noise I could hear was him miaowing, getting louder and louder as he was trying to get attention! Mum managed to move the washing machine and out he strolled as though nothing had happened!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now