Talk

Advanced search

Talk sense to me!

(11 Posts)
Alfieisnoisy Wed 28-Oct-15 16:57:50

So I am a bit cat mad, I've got three of my own who are all either rescues or strays.

About six months ago a large black tomcat took to trying to get in. He was promptly christened "Six Dinner Sid" and duly evicted if I found him in the house. This is because o don't want to encourage in anyone else's pet and I don't know if he needs a special diet etc.

As time went on my youngest cat took great exception to "Sid" and now won't even allow him in the garden. She patrols it with iron determination and other cats have learned to stay out!

About 10 weeks ago a little Tortie started hanging about and it became apparent she lives with "Sid". They are often curled up together etc.

I have noted that both cats always seem to be out but didn't think too much of this as some cats are outdoor ones and happy to be so.

However yesterday my neighbour told me that Sid and the other cat are no longer wanted. They rarely go into the owner's house and are not being fed.

As a result half the street are feeding them and they pounce on any bit of food as though they are starved. The younger cat has put on some weight since my neighbour started feeding her.

I am absolutely outraged. Neither cat was taken in last night and it poured down all night here, the Tortie was soaked when I saw her this morning:

I've knocked at the door of the owner(s) but they don't answer.

All I want to know is if they want them rehomed as a local rescue have said they will take one (run by a friend) and my niece is willing to offer a home to the other one.

Part of me is saying just get them in cat boxes and take them but I won't without talking to the owners as that's not right. They told my neighbour that they will "get round to rehoming the cats at some point".

I know I am over involved but an on the spectrum so get a bit OTT about stuff like this. I'd love to take them in but my three won't accept them.

Tell me to get a grip, cats are survivors.

However they are desperately trying to get in houses so they are looking for new owners.

cozietoesie Wed 28-Oct-15 17:01:52

...The younger cat has put on some weight since my neighbour started feeding her...

I'd lay a fiver that she's growing for abother reason. Take that into account.

cozietoesie Wed 28-Oct-15 17:02:16

* another

thecatneuterer Wed 28-Oct-15 17:04:29

I most certainly will not tell you to get a grip. Your concern is extremely valid and thank heavens someone cares.

I would absolutely just 'make them disappear' as you can find homes for them. There is no point whatsoever taking the feelings of the horrible, cruel and irresponsible 'owners' into account. And you won't get into any trouble as nothing could be proved and, even if the 'owners' were to try to go to the police, the police wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested.

thecatneuterer Wed 28-Oct-15 17:05:42

Yes very true. The tortie is very probably pregnant. Get them away from there now.

thecatneuterer Wed 28-Oct-15 17:07:36

Forget about it 'not being right'. Cats are sentient beings, not possessions. Their welfare takes priority over any qualms about 'ownership'.

Don't engage with the owners. Just sort it out.

FishOn Wed 28-Oct-15 17:11:45

Think I'd put a note through the door telling them what you're doing, and then re-home them the next day. If they have an issue with it they know where you are.

(my concern would be they aren't unwanted at all - least then they get the chance to tell you so)

thecatneuterer Wed 28-Oct-15 17:19:48

I totally disagree with FishOn. If they're not being fed or given shelter then who the hell cares if they 'want' them. They shouldn't have them and the easiest way to make the life better for the cats is just to get them away without taking to the 'owners'.

Alfieisnoisy Wed 28-Oct-15 17:20:45

Thank you, glad in not being OTT.

My niece has been looking to get another cat and will take the Tortie. I don't think the Tortie is pregnant ...she doesn't look it. I could be wrong though.

If my youngest cat would accept Sid I would take him like a shot.

I do overthink things at times and worried that I was getting over involved.

I just want them off the streets before Bonfire night. Have opened my shed in the meantime so they can find shelter.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Wed 28-Oct-15 22:16:27

You are a kind person and there should be more in the world like you x

timtam23 Wed 28-Oct-15 22:28:48

If you are able to get the cats to somewhere safe - and it sounds as if you can do that - I think you should just go ahead, their original owners don't sound bothered at all and it is a bad time of year to be a homeless cat - Bonfire night & getting colder/wetter. I hope that you can help them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now