Talk

Advanced search

Is leaving a light on for the cat mad?

(25 Posts)
Sillyshell Wed 28-Oct-15 16:32:39

Now it's dark when I get home from work and the cat is at home on her own do I need to start leaving a light on or will she really not notice/care?

I don't know why I've suddenly thought about it as I'm sure we haven't done in previous years!

Does anybody else do this or am I worrying too much?

FishOn Wed 28-Oct-15 16:34:06

Cats have excellent night vision - I'm sure she'll be fine grin

LemonRedwood Wed 28-Oct-15 16:34:14

Cats have much better vision in low light than we do. She doesn't need it - save your money!

hollinhurst84 Wed 28-Oct-15 16:38:10

I left the hallway one on today blush

Tootsiepops Wed 28-Oct-15 16:38:56

I used to leave the tv on for the cat.

She didn't like it though and would have a shit on the rug in protest. Happened three times beforeh I put two and two together blush

Redberrypie Wed 28-Oct-15 16:41:59

No need for a light. I did used to leave the tv on though, when we first got our cat and look in the tv guide to check it wasn't anything too violent blush.

Sillyshell Wed 28-Oct-15 16:42:28

I have thought about leaving the TV on but I think she would think we were home and be looking for us!

DH thinks I'm a being silly but I think I will start leaving the hallway one on. At least it will stop me worrying!

Muckogy Wed 28-Oct-15 16:45:19

cats see well in the dark.
and they like sneaking up on things in the dark.
they are semi nocturnal too so this mog should like sitting in the dark.

cozietoesie Wed 28-Oct-15 16:51:51

I leave a few strategically placed small ones on for Seniorboy even if I'm in the house. His eyesight is fading severely (and being a Siamese, his night vision was always much worse than other cats anyway) so it keeps him happy/helps him with his bearings. Or at least keeps me happy that I'm doing what I can.

I've even left something with noise on for cats before now - telly, radio, some device or other. Probably daft but they seem to like it. smile

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Wed 28-Oct-15 21:34:12

I put mine on a timer. For security reasons too. And for me, it's nicer not to walk into a pitch black house.

rainydaygrey Wed 28-Oct-15 21:36:20

Haha bless, the cat will not be bothered either way.

If it makes YOU feel better then, go for it thlsmile

missnevermind Wed 28-Oct-15 21:48:47

I used to leave the radio on for the cat if I was out all day.

Olinguito Fri 30-Oct-15 00:03:45

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but mine has a couple of night lights.

WitchWay Fri 30-Oct-15 19:37:28

Ours sleep in the utility room and we always leave the light on, otherwise they get out of bed, rampage around, rummage in the recycling, knock things over etc. Once they managed to turn on the tap and waste all the hot water hmm

QueenShrieky Fri 30-Oct-15 20:00:14

I sometimes don't bother putting the alarm on when I go out, because it involves closing the downstairs doors and Twat Cat looks too comfy on his pouffe and blankie to move him blush.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 30-Oct-15 20:04:12

I leave lights on for the dogs on the odd occasion they're to be home alone in the dark

They also have the tv on or the radio. I also check what's on so it's nothing too scary for them

BibiBlocksberg Sun 01-Nov-15 18:39:23

smile @ checking it's nothing too scary for them, me too! And set volume at just the right level of course smile

I always leave a light on as my boy won't settle in a really dark room.

String of battery lights for nightime sleeping does the trick & living room lamp on a timer if he stays home while i'm at work this time of year.

crazycatguy Mon 02-Nov-15 06:39:55

I leave the radio on for the cat when I'm out all day. Radio 4. Ours must be the most politically astute cat in the area!

FuckOffJeffrey Mon 02-Nov-15 19:40:46

I have been known to leave the kitchen light on at late at night for my boy when he gets his last meal (around 11) and we go to bed but I do get up again to turn it off after I've finished reading (about 12). I hate the thought of him having to eat in the dark kitchen.

I tend to leave a lamp on if I know I will be home when it's dark but that's something I have always done for security. I used to have one of those timer thingies but it has been long since lost so I might invest in another one. I didn't think about leaving the radio or tv on for our cat but might start. Do you think it makes a difference? He does tend to always be sleeping in his radiator bed when we get home (and will promptly wake up and run to the door to greet me).

BibiBlocksberg Mon 02-Nov-15 19:44:06

smile That made me laugh crazycatguy smile

Jealous now so planning to Radio 4 my boy in future as well.

Not that it will help his standing with the local bullies mind but it will make for more stimulating evening chats for me i'm sure smile

susurration Wed 04-Nov-15 15:29:19

It probably is mad but we leave the lounge light on for her. I'm thinking of getting a new light timer so it can turn on whilst we're still at work too.

Kittyfrickle Sat 07-Nov-15 05:02:24

I used to have to put the tv on low in the early hours when I first moved to get mine to stop squeaking and go to sleep. It sounds so silly but it worked

SteveBrucesNose Sat 07-Nov-15 05:27:00

My OldGirlDog has her ensuite bathroom light on every night yes the dog has her own bedroom

And both of them have the TV on if we go out - they bark too much if there's football on we think they're closet city fans so it's generally just sky news.

rainbowstardrops Sat 07-Nov-15 06:57:39

I usually leave a light on for the cat as well but that's partly for security too.
My mum used to leave the radio on for the budgie grin

Seawig Sat 07-Nov-15 09:53:22

I like turning my lights off when the cats are about, they go into stealth mode, especially Feistycat who is a dark tortie. Lots of sneaking about and pouncing on unsuspecting toys about the house.

Huntercat spends half his awake time choosing to be out in the night hunting and eating over the fields so I know he loves the cover of darkness almost as much as a sunny day.

And they get plenty of noise with radio 4 on when I am about and my kids and their friends, so I always imagine a deep sigh of relief when I go out leaving a dark, silent house. They stretch out on the beds and I hear 'At Last!'

Of course, that's how I feel when I have a quiet house and a chance for a nap so I just project up to my sleep loving lazy cats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now