Advanced search

He's a bag of knots again

(13 Posts)
StillMedusa Mon 26-Oct-15 23:52:33

Obie of course... my 20 pound ginger teenage dickhead grin

If I was hoping for a loving cuddly replacement for my beloved Morph I was out of luck grin. Obie is awesome, but a six dinner Sid who goes into everyone's house, nicks food, sleeps on strangers beds then saunters out when he is caught and pitches up at home for meals and a nap and then buggers off again. Cuddles with him are brief.

And he HATES being groomed. His fur is amazing..incredibly thick and long..and tangled. I have a knot splitter, I have a furminator, I have a dozen other tools to detangle him but as he only ever lets me do 10 mins max, and scarpers when he sees the combs... it's a battle.

If anyone can give me ANY ideas of how to get on top of it.. share. I even bought some pet clippers but have not been able to get near him with them. I am slicing out knots with the knot splitter and then combing out as much as I can... but he's very tangled!

(His sister gets knotty too, but she is MUCH better at being groomed..just 5 mins a day keeps her in decent shape!)

ophiotaurus Tue 27-Oct-15 00:04:31

I have a Main Coon too (only 13 pounds though!) and am watching with interest.
He hates the furminator. He doesn't get loads of matts but does get them in his armpits from time to time.
He likes the zoom groom but it doesn't get out knots (I think it is more of a massage brush myself) the only other thing he will tolerate is a metal comb.
I have ordered an undercoat take from Amazon with rotating teeth. So will see if that's any use when it arrives.

ophiotaurus Tue 27-Oct-15 00:05:01

Rake not take.

StillMedusa Tue 27-Oct-15 00:51:02

Ooh do you have a link to the undercoat groomer? I am willing to try anything, as last summer he cost me £100 to be deknotted at the vets and they bloody shaved a huge patch off his side... not trusting them again, I'd rather pin him down and do it myself!

ophiotaurus Tue 27-Oct-15 07:13:22

Here's the link. It hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if it's any good!

Grooming Anti-tangle Undercoat Rake, Soft Grip Handle, Small ink{\]]Y}

ophiotaurus Tue 27-Oct-15 07:14:57

The link isn't working I will try again!

ophiotaurus Tue 27-Oct-15 07:16:49

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 27-Oct-15 07:54:58

I don't like the fulminator (neither does my dog groomer). For cats I prefer the Zoom Groom. Sometimes shaving is the only option if the Matt is very close to skin as trying to tease it out can tear the skin.

Bogburglar99 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:10:28

My heading-for-20-pounds teenage dickhead Siberian (also ginger!) seems to do quite well with the zoom groom. DH tends to manage it with liberal use of Dreamies smile

ophiotaurus Wed 28-Oct-15 19:58:12

The rake arrived today and it was a success. The teeth go up and down as well so it doesn't hurt their skin. I got loads of fluff off of his tummy.

Qwebec Thu 29-Oct-15 04:31:31

Don't know if you tried it but I bribed mine.
The tuna oriented one got some and after a while relaxes.
The other is affection driven. She used to attack the brush. So stroke, stroke, brush, stroke, stroke, brush. she looked so confused at first, when she would become more annoyed than pleased I'd brush her while playing with her. Progressively I could do it longuer and use less tricks.

Hopefully he will adapt and you won't need to do the dreaded lion cut!

Qwebec Thu 29-Oct-15 04:34:00

I use the furminator, expensive but my cat's fur is so fine nothing else works.

BibiBlocksberg Sun 01-Nov-15 18:03:56

Almond Oil smile Sounds weird but my Jake is long haired & he was a knotty state when i met him.

Searched for a cat coat conditioner to make brushing easier (also 10mins max here!) but didn't want a load of chemicals on him that he would lick off while grooming himself.

Sprayed a bit of a commercial detangler on my hand in a petshop & licked it off - soapy horrendousness for my tastebuds let alone his.

So i hit on Almond Oil - rub little amount between your palms/fingers & stroke cat. Softens fur up nicely for easier combing/brushing.

Mine goes crazy for the oil mind - licks it off my hands & his fur where i've stroked it on. Which is somewhat handy as i get to quickly brush less popular areas of him while he's obsessed with the oil smile

Googled extensively and it's not harmful to cats to ingest it (don't use huge amounts though) & make sure it's as good a quality base oil (ie not blended with other oils)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now