Talk

Advanced search

Advice on getting cat into cat carrier

(23 Posts)
CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 16:35:53

My lovely, sweat cat needs to go to bet for first time in a few years (it's for fleas which I can't get rid of - so she's in fine health other than that)

Thing is, the last time we tried to get her into a cat carrier she had a meltdown (she had followed us when we went for a walk in a v hot summer's day then and virtually collapsed - my DH ran home and got car and carrier, but after a painful and futile struggle to put her in the carrier I ended up just holding her tightly in the car - which I know was probably wrong, but it was a short journey)

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can do this whilst minimising the stress for her?

Ps I have attached a photo just because I can and she is lovely!

CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 16:36:28

Aaaargh - she's no sweaty. Just sweet!

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 26-Oct-15 16:38:17

Dreamies and she is beautiful

spingley Mon 26-Oct-15 16:39:02

She is lovely! We had cats who were terrible for getting in carriers, and the vet suggested we throw a towel over them and then bundle the whole lot up and put it in the carrier. It stops them sticking a leg out and getting out! I'm not sure if it's the least-stressful way, but it is effective so at least it's over quickly for both of you!

CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 16:41:10

Sadly she doesn't rate dreamies (or cat nip for that matter, she's a bit odd!)

I like the idea of the towel - will try that - thanks.

spingley Mon 26-Oct-15 16:41:48

No problem, hope it works!

RustyBear Mon 26-Oct-15 16:46:02

Make a purrito...

CMOTDibbler Mon 26-Oct-15 16:46:05

I just shove them in backwards. It helps that we have a box designed for small dogs as cat1 was so large, so even gigantic evilgingercat goes in.

Only 1 out of three of my cats likes dreamies btw, they aren't that popular here

CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 16:52:00

Love the purrito!!

And the reversing in also sounds a smart move. That will be back up plan if purrito fails......

Thankfulforeveryday Mon 26-Oct-15 16:53:05

Putting them in backwards really does help!

SurlyCue Mon 26-Oct-15 16:57:38

Is it a carrier that the top comes off?

Could you try leaving the carrier in the same room as cat, putting a blanket in it and leaving her to it? You may find she curls up in there herself. I know my boy would do exactly that.

VulcanWoman Mon 26-Oct-15 16:57:41

Luckily our cat carrier has two halves so I take the top off, put him in, then quickly put the top back. The towel idea is great, the cattery suggested that once, good for putting ear drops in too!

coffeeisnectar Mon 26-Oct-15 16:57:49

Pick them up by the scruff. Have box on end so opening is facing up.

Lower ball of spitting fury into the box.

They may attempt to starfish but this is where second person is useful for pushing the 8 million legs they now seem to have into the box.

Once head is in, remove your hand quickly while yelling "shut the fucking box!"

Seek first aid treatment and mop up blood (yours)

Drive cat to vets. Getting cat back into the box at the vets is a doddle.

SurlyCue Mon 26-Oct-15 16:59:36

Ooh do you know what would definitley work with my boy? My dressing gown. He cant resist curling up on it and making a nest. He pulls it off the hook in the bathroom and cuddles in behind the door.

CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 17:08:54

OK phase 1 underway.

Cat carrier with top off strategically placed near cat. Son's old fleece as enticement. Cat showing an interest.

Will update.

CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 17:15:48

Phase 1 abandoned. Cat has resumed sleeping on sofa. Cat carrier sitting forlorn and abandoned.

CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 17:24:45

Ok. We have success and it would seem that I needlessly started this thread. Sleepy sofa cat was lowered gently into open carrier. After a couple of marginally pitiful miaows, she lay down and decided it is actually quite nice. Think my son's old fleece really helps.

Thank you for all your advice. Hopefully the vet will be able to get rid of the horrible fleas.

WhatWouldFlopDo Mon 26-Oct-15 17:26:28

I have 2 ways that work sometimes
Put the carrier on the edge of a table, and post them in, they've got nowhere to put their legs so can't fight you. The other way is to put the carrier on its end, so the hole is facing up, then pick them up and put them in back legs first.

WhatWouldFlopDo Mon 26-Oct-15 17:27:07

Typical of me to type too slowly!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 26-Oct-15 17:30:27

For future reference, I have always found the carrier on its end, lower in backwards approach the only workable one.

CuckooCalling Mon 26-Oct-15 18:40:54

Back home. Happy cat tucking into medicine-loaded food. Bank balance almost intact as our lovely vet does not charge extortionate fees.

Thanks for all the advice!

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 26-Oct-15 19:38:11

Oh, glad he is doing so well, my vet is very reasonable too.
One word of warning if he's on pain meds, they can cause diarrhoea, and I mean diarrhoea.
I was happily minding my own business when I heard the full water bowl being tipped over, or what I thought was the full water bowl being tipped over, but then the smell hit me, and the puddle was a sight to behold.
Much gagging and clean ups.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 26-Oct-15 19:40:01

Oh, sorry, wrong cat thread.
I spend too much time on cat threadsblush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: