Talk

Advanced search

there's something wrong with one of my cats

(10 Posts)
Tinfoiled Wed 21-Oct-15 16:22:44

sad one of 2 rescues we've had for about 6 months. She's always been nervy and took quite a while to settle in. But she did and was affectionate to me (bit standoffish with everyone else admittedly). Buy she seems unhappy again. Jumpy and less affectionate - spends loads of time outside. She's eating normally and has no obvious injuries at all. I did notice the claws on her back paws looked a bit broken off though. I think she's very territorial and I've seen other cats in our garden I've never seen before. She does get into fights. I've ordered a feliway diffuser to see if it helps. Is there anything else I can do? I feel really sad that she has regressed so much into a stressed unaffectionate cat again when she was coming on so well...

bonzo77 Wed 21-Oct-15 16:26:09

My vet said if the claws are badly scuffed / broken you should be suspicious of an altercation with a car. Because the cat normally will tidy itself up and will usually only avoid found so if it's very sore. Can indicate anything from sore toes to a pelvic fracture. Take her to the vet if you can catch her.

bonzo77 Wed 21-Oct-15 16:26:41

found doing

Tinfoiled Wed 21-Oct-15 16:30:24

Thanjs. I honestly don't think that anything like that has happened as she's sleeping eating moving and jumping etc all completely normally. I notuced the claw thing a couple of weeks ago whrn she also had an obviously scratched nose from a fight. So i'm thinking It's more likely it happened in a fight or maybe running away? It's more behavioural problems I think?

thecatneuterer Wed 21-Oct-15 16:41:07

Do you have a cat flap. Do you think other cats could be coming into the house?

Tinfoiled Wed 21-Oct-15 16:46:40

Yes there's a cat flap. I don't think there's any coming in as I'm around most of the day. I noticed a large fluffy grey cat peering in but he scarpered when he saw me. Ive noticed a smell as if a cat has been spraying outside the front door maybe. I think she's stressed really but I don't know how to help her. They're kept in at night.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Wed 21-Oct-15 17:23:07

Has her relationship with your other cat changed at all? How old are they?

Tinfoiled Wed 21-Oct-15 17:30:29

They're both around 1. Not sisters but close. She's a bit more aloof with the other one but still instigates grooming sessions and sleeps next to her often?

Lunastarfish Wed 21-Oct-15 17:33:43

My cat is often bullied, he is like this when he's having a territory war over our garden

ShipwreckedAndComatose Wed 21-Oct-15 18:00:50

Is it possible that she doesn't want to be as close to the other cat as she gets older? Just wondering if that is why she is more nervy in the home

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: