Talk

Advanced search

what age for butchers choice?

(20 Posts)
BlueBlueBelles Tue 20-Oct-15 19:43:16

I have two very noisy, active, hungry cats. They are 6 months old.

Currently they are on kitten pouches twice a day, and dry food ad hoc.

I've read on here that as a budget choice butchers is the best - it's what I used to feed my old cat in fact now I've looked it up!

Can I switch now? Or do they have to have kitten food for another six months?

MrsHathaway Tue 20-Oct-15 20:00:34

Mine are the same age and have been on adult food since weaning AFAIK - the rescue think kitten food is a con. They naturally stop nursing and eat the same as adult cats from very small indeed.

I'm tempted by Butchers as well (looked at it in the supermarket today as it happens) but I'm not vastly keen on keeping a open tin in the fridge even for a few hours. Pouches are cleaner and even the DC can give them <lazy>

BlueBlueBelles Tue 20-Oct-15 20:02:37

To be honest with two cats I should imagine they go through a can in a day if not a sitting! The fridge bit doesn't bother me - and think ds1 aged 9 could feed from one ok.

Have a few boxes of pouches, so about a weeks food, so will switch after that. Do I need to switch gradually?

MrsHathaway Tue 20-Oct-15 20:16:09

We use some wet and some dry - less wet than you by the sounds of things. Also the snidgey bits off the roast, fat trimmings, etc <spoilt> so I can't imagine that changing straight over would be a massive deal.

I think dry varies more. When for complicated reasons we could only buy the wrong dry food we had hideous litter tray for days even though the cats were barely eating any of it.

Not an expert!

BlueBlueBelles Tue 20-Oct-15 20:20:41

God yes! Dry makes them stink!!! I had to switch as we use a supermarket own brand and they were shut and the generic go cat was awful. It's still almost full!

HemanOrSheRa Tue 20-Oct-15 20:29:08

I bought butchers choice for my two cats today after reading about it here! I'm pretty sure thecatneuterer said it was fine for young cats. Which is why I decided to switch.

I've got a 5 month old kitty who I've been feeding kitten food. But he's pinching the older ones grub so I've decided to give them the same. He absolutely loved the bowl he had earlier. Not sure about older cat. She's still out and about. Neither of them will touch dry food of any description, however I serve it.

thecatneuterer Tue 20-Oct-15 20:34:48

It's Butchers Classic not Butchers Choice (that's for dogs). It's fine to give to six month olds. Kitten food is basically normal food in smaller chunks for smaller mouths so by four or five months old it shouldn't be necessary.

Mrs Hathaway you can buy really cheap special lids to reseal cans.

HemanOrSheRa Tue 20-Oct-15 20:39:04

Doh! blush. I just checked the tins I bought. It's alright - there's a picture of a cat on the tin!

thecatneuterer Tue 20-Oct-15 20:43:34

That's good. I remember a poster on here a couple of years ago bought the dog one (again after reading a thread on here and thinking it was, in fact, Butchers Choice) and amazingly didn't seem to question that, well, it had a picture of a dog on it grin. Apparently the cat liked it.

MrsHathaway Tue 20-Oct-15 20:47:27

Thanks thecatneuterer but I'm weird about tins so it isn't the smell or sealing that's the issue. Once they're big enough to have a whole tin at once I'll be very tempted indeed.

BlueBlueBelles Tue 20-Oct-15 20:49:02

Ha ha, that was my fault!!! I even had it on my google page as butchers classic when I was looking to see if they did a kitten version!

Fab, will get some soon. Seems pets at home have it on offer, and it works out same as the pouches too :-)

thecatneuterer Tue 20-Oct-15 20:54:30

Yes sometimes Pets at Home have it for £10 for 24. Sainsbury's are consistently cheap at around £5.05 for 12 and Tesco's are currently at £5.15 for 12.

I couldn't tell you even approximately how much milk or bread or any human food at all really costs, but I know the price of Butchers everywhere grin. (But then I always make a policy of clearing the shelves of it in whichever shop I happen to be as they never seem to stock enough and I don't like to risk running out).

HemanOrSheRa Tue 20-Oct-15 21:00:55

Hee hee! I went all hot and funny for few seconds there grin. My little boy cat loved it and has eaten much less of it than the pouches. Not because he didn't like - it definitely satisfied him for longer.

BlueBlueBelles Tue 20-Oct-15 21:01:47

That's what I'm hoping Heman. I'm hoping it also stops them crying and clawing at the wallpaper at 6am!! My poor walls :-(

BlueBlueBelles Tue 20-Oct-15 21:05:54

Though who could be angry at this??

HemanOrSheRa Tue 20-Oct-15 21:16:04

Blue I gave him just over a quarter of a tin at about 2pm and I've just given him another quarter now. He's scoffed the lot but he wasn't crying for food at all between 2pm and a few minutes ago. To be fair I'm not sure he always got all of a pouch. If he left a bit the dog tried to snaffle it. I have to referee meal times! I hope it works for you!

HemanOrSheRa Tue 20-Oct-15 21:27:41

Gorgeous! That's the trouble, isn't it? I was considering renaming ours '^What Are You Doing^?!' But he's had his grub and is curled up on my chest, purring his head off smile. I can't resist him.

isseywithcats Fri 23-Oct-15 20:01:19

i currently have four 9 week old foster kittens who devour butchers classic so 6 month olds no problem

queenoftheworld93 Tue 27-Oct-15 12:31:38

I recommend buying cat food online if you can. Supermarket brands tend to be only 4% meat and ended up in a yucky litter tray for our two. We pay about £30 for five weeks of cat food online. We feed a mix of applaws dry (80% meat, no nasties) and bozita cans (can't remember percentage but very high). They often have deals on top.

BlueBlueBelles Tue 27-Oct-15 15:14:34

We switched on the weekend. The cats love it. They are definitely more content, though they are still kittens so a pain grin

They tend to have 1/2 to 3/4 can between them and I do this twice a day. Got 24 cans for £10 from pets at home, so definitely cheaper than the pouches we were using.

They look nicer and meatier tbh as well. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now