Talk

Advanced search

Russian Blue, any advice?

(22 Posts)
DonnaRocksMyWorld Mon 19-Oct-15 11:25:31

I need some advice! DP and I have decided to get a Russian Blue kitten (maybe two so they can keep each other company). We love animals, this year we've finally bought a flat so we are able to get a pet.

DP's fallen in love with Russian Blue breed but we have no experience of them. Any advice? They seem to be the perfect cat for us: cuddle and intelligent.

Are there any recommended books to read before you bring a kitten into your life? I want to make sure we are doing the right thing for any animal we bring into out lives so they can have a good life and we can enjoy having pets agains. smile

holeinmyheart Mon 19-Oct-15 23:30:08

They are utterly gorgeous and my Cat of choice. You need to examine them carefully and make sure that they have been handled a lot in a loving home rather than a kitten farm. I had one who would bite you as soon as look at you. I think the owner didn't play with it.
My daughter had one that had a runny snotty nose and continued having a runny nose through out its life. It deposited snot everywhere despite lots of treatment. The breeder washed its hand of any responsibility.
Mine were as clean as whistles and they should be given wet and dry cat food. I used wood pellet cat litter.
Protect any soft furnishings as they scratch anything and everything, you need to get a scratching post at once.
I just got a few cat books from the library and went to a cat show at the NEC and talked to owners.
Best of luck.

DonnaRocksMyWorld Tue 20-Oct-15 12:38:19

It's nice to hear that they make lovely pets. It's what we want! In terms of a scratching post do you need to train kittens to use that in any particular way?

Do you think it's better to get two kittens or just one?

I've got so many questions but it is an exciting time smile

SuperFlyHigh Tue 20-Oct-15 12:42:43

You don't need to train kittens to use a scratching post but can play near them with it - some of them have toys (like balls/mice in the scratching post material) attached to it.

Two kittens definitely if you want them both as they'll play with each other. One is fine (like mine is) but he loves playing even now at 18 months old...

DonnaRocksMyWorld Tue 20-Oct-15 13:50:42

Thanks for explaining. Sounds silly but I've always had dogs and they definitely need training on everything.

DP is keen on two kittens but I'm concerned about the extras with two, extra cleaning, extra litter, food, vet, insurance etc.

Are there any good books on cat/kitten care? I know over on the doghouse bit they always seem to recommend specific books on training and care.

Micah Tue 20-Oct-15 13:57:38

How big is your flat? Will they be outdoors?

The problem with two is while they will play with each other and be company now, when they hit adulthood each will need their own territory.

If your flat is not big enough you risk territorial behaviour such as spraying, and inappropriate toileting. Honestly, having been through it (and ended up having to rehome one for the good of the cats), I'd never risk having more than one cat again unless I lived in a big detached house, or knew there were very few cats locally. A spraying cat is a nightmare, and you really can't stop it until you fix the territory issue- i.e. move somewhere bigger or rehome one.

MaBumble Tue 20-Oct-15 14:02:25

We have two sisters - from kittens. They mostly get on, but can get very territorial and scraps can ensue. Looking back I'd have got a girl and a boy, or two boys. The males are usually much bigger. They are sweet, affectionate and very smart and stay playfull well after the kitten stage. Hardly any shedding, but have used the stair carpet as a scratching post! If they are going to be indoor cats keep the litter tray really clean - very fussy! A bit skittish and unsure of strangers but very affectionate when they get to know you.
They rule our house smile

FeckTheMagicDragon Tue 20-Oct-15 14:04:34

Actually I'd start with one. Cats are solitary animals - they like their own space free from other cats. Their human servants are usually company enough smile

FaFoutis Tue 20-Oct-15 14:07:17

I like the way mine matches the cushions, he is very pretty.
He is a bugger though, very playful indeed and a successful hunter. Do you have a garden? My RB would not be happy as an indoors cat.

Toughasoldboots Tue 20-Oct-15 14:08:25

How about getting some rescue cats? If you love animals, it would be great to give two from the overflowing rescues a home.

Artandco Tue 20-Oct-15 14:10:50

I would get two, but it depends on your lifestyle. If your out all day working for example they prob would like another cat for company

Have a little tray per cat though so they can choose to us a seperate one if they prefer

DonnaRocksMyWorld Tue 20-Oct-15 15:14:00

That's really interesting FaFoutis all of the breeders I've spoken to have specified they wanted their kittens to go to indoor households and not be allowed outside. I was begging to think it was breed thing.

FaFoutis Tue 20-Oct-15 15:52:33

That is strange. I don't have much experience of the breed though, so my cat might be an exception.

DonnaRocksMyWorld Tue 20-Oct-15 16:02:43

I think we are also going to stick to 1 cat. I'm pretty sure we can have enough toys to entertain the kitten until its adult.

Bogburglar99 Wed 21-Oct-15 08:47:59

It seems to be a pedigree breeder thing *donna*. I have a Siberian kitten and most of the breeders specified the same. We found one that didn't.
Siberians are basically pretty versions of the Russian wildcat, and he is a strong, agile, intelligent beastie who already loves the stimulation of going out though not in this weather, he has taken one look and found his favourite chair

So I don't think it's a breed thing, more a breeder thing?To do with the perceived value of a pedigree cat, and more sympathetically, with the emotional investment the breeders have in their cats and kittens.

Germgirl Wed 21-Oct-15 09:15:32

We had a rescue cat that I'm 100% sure was at least mostly Russian Blue.
She was lovely, really gentle and friendly, quite playful but just a really cuddly, quiet cat. I loved her.
They sleep in a bizarre way, on their backs with all four paws folded in front of them. Apparently this is a very Russian Blue 'thing'.
This is my lovely Muppet. I miss her loads.

Micah Wed 21-Oct-15 09:24:08

Surely breeders can't enforce the "indoor cat" rule anyway? What are they going to do if they find you let it outdoors?

I find this is a common thing with Bengals. But IME Bengals as a breed need to be outside, I had a bengal cross and she was impossible to live with indoors only, she kept us up all night, spent all day bolting round the house. They're big and have a lot of energy, and need a large territory.

When I worked for a vet a common problem was new bengal owners coming in just not coping with the level of activity indoors. One actually thought hers was eating something poisonous in the house that was making it hyperactive.

Bogburglar99 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:52:51

Some of them were asking prospective buyers to sign a contract saying cat would be an indoor one. I doubt it would be legally enforceable, or that the breeder is really likely to check up, but I didn't feel comfortable fibbing, especially if the worst should happen and cat come to harm outside.

DonnaRocksMyWorld Wed 21-Oct-15 11:01:00

germgirl she's gorgeous! Sorry for your loss. I still miss my old dog and it's been years since she passed.

I think we are pretty sold on the idea and have found a breeder I like who is planning kittens for next year though obviously it's all contingent on his cats getting pregnant.

FeckTheMagicDragon Thu 22-Oct-15 09:14:26

OP you will still need lots of toys when they are adult smile

vitaminC Thu 22-Oct-15 09:33:54

I have two - brother and sister - and they are the easiest cats I've ever owned. No damage or mess. They go outside several hours a day but in an enclosed yard.
The female, especially, is extremely intelligent and both are very, very affectionate.
The only problem we've had is that the female has allergies. We've finally found a brand of dry food she's not allergic to, but it's an expensive brand and any others we try make her very sick. She also has asthma attacks, especially in the spring as she seems to be allergic to pollen!
I'd definitely recommend them with kids -ours have never bitten or scratched and we have 6 teens/tweens who are constantly picking them up and playing with them.

DonnaRocksMyWorld Thu 22-Oct-15 11:15:17

Haha magicdragon I've got a feeling that won't be a problem either. I said more in a sense of we are not sure if we will get one or two kittens. I'm afraid of them becoming aggressive at each other as adults than not having enough toys.

I'm already scoping out how to make an ikea hack cat condo with lots of scratching posts etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now